• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long battle with overheating 96 XJ.

Well I guess my exhaust manifold is getting a good welding. Ill let you know the outcome. Thanks!!

to the guy that found out his problems were caused by this can you tellme the symptoms you experienced as far as overheating?

Be warned that welding the exh-manifold can warp the face structure, flange mounting area during welding!!! Might want to look at ways to avoid that, like bolting it to a thick, rigid flat plate before welding, and using a cooler welding method (not stick, but wire....), and if it warps,you can not just sand it flat-parallel as it needs to have the same thickness as the intake manifold for the bolts to keep them both sealed!!!! The bolts overlap the two!!!!

I ended up having to use copper shims to get mine sealed and flat on all the ports after welding the cracks.

Last edited:
If you drive it on the highway does it heat up? When you stop and turn it off does the temp keep rising? If you answered either of these questions with yes, chances are your radiator is partially stopped up.

I'm wondering if you are running lean.. I think running lean can cause excessive heat. Also, every stock cherokee I've been in tends to hang around the 210 degree mark after a while during hot weather, especially in heavy traffic areas.

I am having the same issues. How can I check to see if it is running lean?

You need to check your fuel pressure with a gauge. My RENIX runs at 31 PSI at idle, 37 with the vacuum disconnected at the fuel pressure regulator. Check to see what the specs are for your year.

As far as my overheating symptoms, I was fine at idle and around town. I had changed everything (radiator, thermostat, water pump, hoses, did the ZJ fan clutch, flushed it several times due to a crap load of stop leak in the system from the PO). Never broke 200 degrees on my mechanical gauge. As soon as I started climbing a long grade in 80 degree plus heat, my temp would slowly creep up past 230, flirting 240! At Ecomike's suggestion, I checked the down pipe to the collector. It was pretty wasted. I had it replaced and looked at the flange when the exhaust guy pulled it off. The sealing surface was so beat up it wouldn't seal well. Once it was changed out I noticed a HUGE difference in temps. On the way to Sierrafest it was over 100 degrees in the valley. Climbing the long, steady grade up the hill I topped out at 218 degrees with a full load of camping gear and spare stuff for the Jeep.

You need to check your fuel pressure with a gauge. My RENIX runs at 31 PSI at idle, 37 with the vacuum disconnected at the fuel pressure regulator. Check to see what the specs are for your year.

As far as my overheating symptoms, I was fine at idle and around town. I had changed everything (radiator, thermostat, water pump, hoses, did the ZJ fan clutch, flushed it several times due to a crap load of stop leak in the system from the PO). Never broke 200 degrees on my mechanical gauge. As soon as I started climbing a long grade in 80 degree plus heat, my temp would slowly creep up past 230, flirting 240! At Ecomike's suggestion, I checked the down pipe to the collector. It was pretty wasted. I had it replaced and looked at the flange when the exhaust guy pulled it off. The sealing surface was so beat up it wouldn't seal well. Once it was changed out I noticed a HUGE difference in temps. On the way to Sierrafest it was over 100 degrees in the valley. Climbing the long, steady grade up the hill I topped out at 218 degrees with a full load of camping gear and spare stuff for the Jeep.

:greensmok

Mine was a bad donut, beat up sealing surface on the donut, had been reused way too many times. Damn $2 part, LOL!

Last edited:
I had an over heating prob with my 96 and replaced the same parts you have and come to find out the crank sensor failed so I replaced that and havent had an overheat since??????? Im no expert but can a crank sensor CAUSE an engine to run lean due to inaccurate signal to the ecm??? Either way it fixed the overheat on my rig. Ive since pulled a trailer with atvs in 110 degree heat with out an issue...

I had an over heating prob with my 96 and replaced the same parts you have and come to find out the crank sensor failed so I replaced that and havent had an overheat since??????? Im no expert but can a crank sensor CAUSE an engine to run lean due to inaccurate signal to the ecm??? Either way it fixed the overheat on my rig. Ive since pulled a trailer with atvs in 110 degree heat with out an issue...

I have serious doubts about that one. Bad CPS usually just causes it die and eventually it wont start.

Well I'm back as promised.
So I replaced the cylinder head, head gasket, and exhaust manifold.

The head gasket fell apart when the head came off, and the exhaust manifold was slightly cracked near the flange.

I have been driving the Jeep since yesterday and it runs COOL now doesnt even hint at overheating. So moral of the story is even if there are no signs of a head problem there still could be a problem. I had no symptoms of head problem besides overheating and doing a head job fixed my problem!

Thanks for all your help!

Cool! :laugh:

Thanks for the closing report!

The flange on my exhaust manifold was leaking and causing my xj to overheat. It was blowing hot exhaust directly over the freezer plugs, where the metal is thin and the water jacket is vulnerable. It even caused the plug to leak! I tried everything, new water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, almost bought a new radiator too! Then I discovered the leak in the exhaust manifold hitting the freezer plug. I tightened the loose flange bolts and, voila! No more overheating! Who would have thought? Yes, hot exhaust hitting the side of your engine block directly can make your engine overheat!

Back