• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's all give Fidel Castro a hug.

Nothing! I think RC Cola and Moon Pies are our best export! However, Cuba has nothing of value to trade back with us!!!! :D

I don't know about that, they got some pristine 40's and 50's era classics there.

I don't know about that, they got some pristine 40's and 50's era classics there.

Yea I have noticed that before too. Every time you see pictures from there, all the cars are older and in good shape.
Hell we might be able to get in on the initial land grab and get some cheaper beach front property.

Yea I have noticed that before too. Every time you see pictures from there, all the cars are older and in good shape.
Hell we might be able to get in on the initial land grab and get some cheaper beach front property.

Not gonna happen, all that property is already spoken for, what, you think US companies don't have things already lined up ? Wanna buy a bridge :D

It's not like cuba is a deserted wasteland, they do a pretty good tourist trade, ask any canadian, more than a few retired people there too. Their big problem is when they do buy something instead of having it shipped direct from a Florida or other southern US port it has to come in some other way through a third party.

Those people don't blame Castro, he's the local guy. They blame us for not trading with them, not investing in their oil fields, not investing in their health care system etc, and for trying (repeatedly) to off their leader.
The first article linked said:
There is now serious momentum in long-standing efforts to overturn the nearly five decade ban on travel and trade with Cuba. Previous efforts have been blocked by a vocal and influential Cuban American community, and former President Bush's veto threats on legislation to overturn the prohibitions have kept such proposals at bay.
Yeah the Cuban people blame us...

I remember hearing that there are a block of pending American permits to do business in Cuba. I forget all the details, but as I recall, it was a block of like 100 permits. Each permit is for a stated period of time, like one year. People purchase these permits in hopes that the embargo will be lifted during that period of time. Kind of like Football season tickets. If the embargo is lifted, you can open your business in Cuba. Has anyone else heard this? Seemes to make sense.

BOB

I remember hearing that there are a block of pending American permits to do business in Cuba. I forget all the details, but as I recall, it was a block of like 100 permits. Each permit is for a stated period of time, like one year. People purchase these permits in hopes that the embargo will be lifted during that period of time. Kind of like Football season tickets. If the embargo is lifted, you can open your business in Cuba. Has anyone else heard this? Seemes to make sense.

BOB

Sounds like an AIG scam.... :D :D :D

Yeah the Cuban people blame us...

You quoted from the article that Cuban Americans ...bla,,,bla,,,bla...

My point exactly, these people are not Cuban, but of Cuban decent or previous residents of Cuba. They did not stick around to form a movement or anything constructive, they escaped and from a safe distance, and from a much greater standard of living, use OUR government to continue the current boycot of Cuba in a failed attempt to overthrow Castro.

After lord knows how many years of this failed policy, guess who still runs Cuba, and will until the day he dies of old age? Castro. Why? Because he controls the hearts of his fellow Cubans, not America.

Well, that's my POV. It may not be correct in your eyes, but then neither you or I are in charge of foreign policy, we only play backseat quarterbacks.

Well, that's my POV. It may not be correct in your eyes, but then neither you or I are in charge of foreign policy, we only play backseat quarterbacks.

Of the people by the people. Do you think we have more people that think like you. or that think like us? Does it matter?

Driving from the back seat eliminates the distraction of having to control the vehicle and ones time can focus on navigation

Of the people by the people. Do you think we have more people that think like you. or that think like us? Does it matter?

Driving from the back seat eliminates the distraction of having to control the vehicle and ones time can focus on navigation

People who decide foreign policy need to meet some requirements,
1. Never have been married and divorced, proves the ability to carry on long term relationships.
2. Run a blue collar business, proves the ability to get along with others and actually get their hands dirty, instead of sitting in an ivory tower 'directing' based on what they learned in some school taught by people who have never had to actually work and do more than play university politics. Talk about idiots teaching our future leaders, all that gets us is more idiots. I always liked the Asian model where ALL the executives have to work on the assembly line for 2 weeks EVERY year. We need to put these people with a line company of grunts in the country they are deciding foreign policy on.

We have too many well educated, know nothing of the real world or have 'interests' that are their own in what they do.

People who decide foreign policy need to meet some requirements,
1. Never have been married and divorced, proves the ability to carry on long term relationships.
2. Run a blue collar business, proves the ability to get along with others and actually get their hands dirty, instead of sitting in an ivory tower 'directing' based on what they learned in some school taught by people who have never had to actually work and do more than play university politics. Talk about idiots teaching our future leaders, all that gets us is more idiots. I always liked the Asian model where ALL the executives have to work on the assembly line for 2 weeks EVERY year. We need to put these people with a line company of grunts in the country they are deciding foreign policy on.

We have too many well educated, know nothing of the real world or have 'interests' that are their own in what they do.

Starbucks does it!
I couldn't agree more with the practice!

You quoted from the article that Cuban Americans ...bla,,,bla,,,bla...

My point exactly, these people are not Cuban, but of Cuban decent or previous residents of Cuba. They did not stick around to form a movement or anything constructive, they escaped and from a safe distance, and from a much greater standard of living, use OUR government to continue the current boycot of Cuba in a failed attempt to overthrow Castro.

After lord knows how many years of this failed policy, guess who still runs Cuba, and will until the day he dies of old age? Castro. Why? Because he controls the hearts of his fellow Cubans, not America.

People who lived under Castro, but had the means to escape (homemade raft, hitching a ride in a boat, etc) blame Castro. Do you have any sort of source to back up your claim that they blame us? Been to Cuba to talk to those still there, saw an interview, etc?

....he's probably Cuban :D

I have a buddy who lived in cuba for 6 months after college.

He said the stories about the cars are incredibly exaggerated.

bummer.

Well, we're back to them having nothing to offer us :D

Back