• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Confusion

99custom

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I rarely post here but mostly lurk around, however I need some help as I am having some real confusion on what parts to order. I have searched and searched and haven't found anyone posting about a similar situation.
I currently have a 2001 2dr xj with a 4.5 rough county add a leaf lift kit. I run 32's jk take offs. However I am not very happy with the way the truck sits or drives. I am a contractor by trade and I carry alot of tools in my trunk which makes the rear sag, which is understandable as the add a leafs cant handle the weight. So now I want to order a full leaf spring pack and Im not certain what to go with. I was thinking rubicon express, or iron rock off road, but I am open to all suggestions. This has been my though process on it. If I were to buy a 4.5 leaf spring, with my lift shackles, the rear would be lifted up over 5 inches, probably close to six, so with the weight that is always in the back of the rig, it would settle down some but still be too high. IF i bought a 3.5 leaf spring with the shackle the height may be right around the same, but may be too low. Also how will changing leaf springs affect my shocks. I am not to concerned because I plan to order bilstein 5100's but once again, not certain which ones to order as I dont know the collapsed length and things such as that. SO any idea on what I should do to get my truck to ride better and have a somewhat even stance, even if the rear is in the air a bit im ok with that, as long as its not sky high.
Thanks,
Mike :helpme:

I'd look into OME CSO33RB Leafs. I've got 4-4.5" of lift with them depending on how much weight I have in the back (regularly 100 lbs, not uncommon to have more or pull a trailer though). They're a dual rate leaf pack and handle the weight very well. Sounds like you probably carry a bit more weight than me, so with a mild lift shackle (not sure what size shackle you have) it should be about where you want it.

If you're looking to get new shocks to help the ride, but your old shocks are still ok, put the leafs in first and re-use the old shocks for a couple weeks while you measure and order the new shocks you want.

i always ran RE 3.5" springs with a longer shackle and 3.5" coils with 1.5" of poly spacer.
it would ride level with the 250# of tools and trail spares i kept back there. actually the weight softened the ride to make the stiff springs bearable.

You guys nailed what I've been debating. I've heard good things from rubicon express and ome. And I'm thinking if its too high in th back I can always order coil spacers for the front. I'm curious in the iron rock off road leaf springs however becaus they say they are military wrapped with bushings and you can add a extra leaf for more weight. So I was thinking their 3.5 springs plus the extra spring with shackles would probably put me in a good place. As far as ome I'm sure thety can handle weight too. The rubicon express is what I originally thought I was going to go with but I'm not certain if their made to carry weight. I would say the weight I carry is 300-350lbs. As far as shocks I need those more then leaf spring's due to my front driver side being broke. I wasn't certain If perhaps the bilstein 5100 shocks were specific for exact lift or if there was a model that's good for say 4-6 inches.
Thanks
Also the shackles are up to 2 inches of lift according to rough country site so I guess I should be looking at a 3.5 inch spring?

Last edited:
Back