• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JET Perf. Module- a look inside

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Ever wonder what is inside of something? What is inside a Jet Performance Module?

Here is a module that I bought off ebay for $0.99. It is for a neon but looks similiar to the jeep and other modules. I wanted to see what is inside. Not quite sure how it works but the pins go all the way thru and only 2 pins are tapped. It probably just supplies a different voltage to the TPS or MAP but i don't know for sure. I would 'ruin' a jeep xj specific module it I could get one cheap.
Here are the pics. Sorry, coming soon, having problems posting pics.

hurry with the pics!! im interested!

It's the same thing that people make to adjust the voltage to the MAP sensor. You can find the schematic on here somewhere.

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-11-24161559.jpg

2012-11-24161622.jpg

2012-11-24161632.jpg

Can you get me more detailed pics or part numbers off the tops of the chips?

I see a 4MHz ceramic resonator so I suspect that the largest one is a microcontroller. It is likely locked down so that the firmware cannot be pulled off it for disassembly... at least it is if the manufacturer is competent and wants to preserve their intellectual property.

What is inside a Jet Performance Module?
It probably just supplies a different voltage to the TPS or MAP but i don't know for sure.

The JET Performance module merely alters the output voltage from the TPS to "improve throttle response" but after my experience with it, I can confidently say that it's a complete waste of money.

Can you get me more detailed pics or part numbers off the tops of the chips?

I see a 4MHz ceramic resonator so I suspect that the largest one is a microcontroller. It is likely locked down so that the firmware cannot be pulled off it for disassembly... at least it is if the manufacturer is competent and wants to preserve their intellectual property.

I don't remember the exact model, but the microcontroller is a PIC.

My Jet experience: the stage 2 module in my 94 was a great and noticeable addition. The stage 2 module in my 96 with the same mods transfered to it: minor(not worth more than $100). My Hypertech experience: HPP3 complete waste of money. It didn't raise the governor or redline and with a full tank of 93 octane, my engine pinged on the 93 performance setting and the 87 performance setting. Only thing it was good for was clearing the misfire CELs that it caused in the first place(worth $50 for its obd2 scanner).

Which pins are actually intercepted and which are pass through?
You can actually see it on the pictures.
They are all pass thru, and only 2 pins are 'tapped'.

On the plug side picture #27, and on the socket side #23.

Mind you this is not a Jeep part. It is part #90408 which I believe is for a Neon, non-SRT4. Maybe someone can find the pinout for the neon.

Just to add a bit more info to the thread, that JET module is for an 03-05 2.0L Neon.
Looking thru the installation instructions it plugs into the C2 connector on the PCM.
FSM pinout has #23 as MAP Signal, #27 as Sensor Ground.

Granted, it's probably a multi-layer board and there are other pin connections we're not seeing. Power at least, off #29

Op2Wk.png

On closer look, #23(MAP signal), 27(signal ground), 29(5V supply) are tapped.

Kastein-If you want to mess with it more, PM me your address and I will l send it to you.

ehhhhh.

It's not a jeep part, no one agrees on whether they actually improve anything at all, and it's likely just a MAP clamp and/or TPS signal modifier. Nothing really to discover and even if reverse engineered, there's no real proven agreed benefit anyways... no reason to spend time on it.

Anything important it does is probably firmware based and locked into that PIC anyways.

Back