• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep failed NC safety inspection

jelrod

NAXJA Forum User
What are my options for getting rid of the ole XJ? It needs 4 tires, tie rod ends, and exhaust leaks on both sides of the catalytic converter (my crappy welds). What are my options? Can't sell it if it won't pass correct? Scrap? My wife and I have 3 other vehicles and the XJ hardly gets driven anymore. Just not wanting to throw the $ at it.
93'
4.0 ax15 np231
c8.25 d30
198,xxx miles

This is the best pic I have and it's from 4 years ago.

Seems like minor stuff to fix to make it pass. The tires would be the most expensive part.

Got a current picture? Does it still look like it did 4 years ago?

You could just post it in the classified and see if you can find a buyer.

Seems like minor stuff to fix to make it pass. The tires would be the most expensive part.

Got a current picture? Does it still look like it did 4 years ago?

You could just post it in the classified and see if you can find a buyer.

Yeah, it is minor stuff to fix. I just don't want to spend the money on it. It looks the same as it did 4 years ago. Well, except for the tire tread. I'll take some pics this evening. The big question is can I sell it with the failed inspection?

I found this. The way I read it, whoever buys the vehicle is responsible for getting the inspection done. If they buy it from you knowing this, you should be fine other than the fact you will take a hit on the price you can get for the Jeep.

"
Vehicles Purchased from Private Parties

If you've recently purchased a used vehicle from a private seller, you must have the vehicle inspected before you can legally operate and register it*—UNLESS the former owner had the vehicle inspected at some point within the previous 12 months. The North Carolina DMV should have the inspection on file, but it's wise to ask the previous owner for a receipt, too.
Once everything checks out, you won't have to have the vehicle inspected again until it's time for registration renewal.
* If the previous owner hasn't had the vehicle inspected in the last 12 months, you can obtain a temporary permit for 10 days for the purpose of driving the vehicle to the inspection station and to have it registered. The permit is good only for insured vehicles. Obtain the permit from your local driver license agency or the NC License & Theft Bureau—visit their website for more information.
Failed Vehicle Inspections

If your vehicle fails the safety inspection, you must make the necessary repairs and undergo another inspection."

You can sell it if it hasn't passed. It will be the new owners responsibility to deal with getting it to pass to get a registration for it.

Since it's a 93 you only have to pass safety, not emissions. I'm betting it failed because of the exhaust leak. If your tires really are that bad, maybe that too. I've had some very shotty steering before and never had trouble getting mine to pass.

Did you take it to a big chain shop (i.e. firestone, goodyear..etc)? I stay away from those when it comes to inspections. They'll look for any little thing they can to try and get money out of you on BS repairs to pass inspection. Stick to the mom and pop shops if you can.

Corrected because I can't read.

Yay you can sell it without it passing inspection!

Last edited:
How much do you want for it?

I care not that it won't pass emissions and Ga has no inspections.

Yea just sell to Tim or me.... LOL! We aren't in NC!

Back