• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's a HOAX! LOL

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I agree, but you can't take a report seriously from EarthLink, didn't they disappear in the 90s? Or another govt scandal?

Well, people that make reference to anomalous weather events as “proof” of wordwide warming or cooling or a lack of either one are making a big mistake, especially when not taking into consideration what is going on globally. Usually when it snows in Houston its unseasonably hot somewhere else. Its important to distinguish between weather and climate. When we talk about snow in Houston we are talking about unusual weather. If Houston had a colder climate, snowfall occurring there would not be worth mentioning at all.

I don’t know the extent to which humans are influencing any climate change that is occurring and I don’t think an absolutist viewpoint one way or the other is justifiable. And I don’t know that the cure for global warming is any better than the symptoms. Climate is complex and its difficult to separate out and test variables that effect it. But I especially don’t see how you rule out some human influence given humans have been burning fossil fuels for the last 150 years, that CO2 absorbs radiation in frequency bands than other GH gases do not absorb it in, and that increases in GH gases initially occurring in lower concentrations such as CO2 result in the most absorption.

I also think it’s a huge mistake to attach too much significance to cherry picked quotes offered up without due consideration to context. I reference “climate gate”. Several months back the results of a study financed by the tea party supporting, oil industry insiders Koch Bros. determined that global warming is indeed occurring. See link 1. While the lead researcher, a former GW skeptic, does not identify the source of the warming, he says it’s a good idea to reduce CO2 emissions. Meanwhile, the scientists attacked in climategate have been exonerated (link2).

http://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-now-agrees-global-warming-real-142616605.html

http://news.yahoo.com/climategate-scientists-cleared-wrongdoing-again-035209228.html

I agree, but you can't take a report seriously from EarthLink, didn't they disappear in the 90s? Or another govt scandal?

LOL, Earthlink is a NYSE publicly traded corporation, with about a 5% dividend, buying up other telecoms (in fact the stock is on my retirement plan buy list), and if you had looked at the article it came from:

SETH BORENSTEIN
From Associated Press
March 16, 2012 4:59 PM EDT

It is not from Earthlink. It was just shown on an Earthlink current news page, with the source credits. My DSL service has been with Earthlink since 2000, and my ISP with Earthlink since 1996.

Associated Press is the major news wire used by news journalists.

http://www.ap.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press

Well, people that make reference to anomalous weather events as “proof” of wordwide warming or cooling or a lack of either one are making a big mistake, especially when not taking into consideration what is going on globally. Usually when it snows in Houston its unseasonably hot somewhere else. Its important to distinguish between weather and climate. When we talk about snow in Houston we are talking about unusual weather. If Houston had a colder climate, snowfall occurring there would not be worth mentioning at all.

I don’t know the extent to which humans are influencing any climate change that is occurring and I don’t think an absolutist viewpoint one way or the other is justifiable. And I don’t know that the cure for global warming is any better than the symptoms. Climate is complex and its difficult to separate out and test variables that effect it. But I especially don’t see how you rule out some human influence given humans have been burning fossil fuels for the last 150 years, that CO2 absorbs radiation in frequency bands than other GH gases do not absorb it in, and that increases in GH gases initially occurring in lower concentrations such as CO2 result in the most absorption.

I also think it’s a huge mistake to attach too much significance to cherry picked quotes offered up without due consideration to context. I reference “climate gate”. Several months back the results of a study financed by the tea party supporting, oil industry insiders Koch Bros. determined that global warming is indeed occurring. See link 1. While the lead researcher, a former GW skeptic, does not identify the source of the warming, he says it’s a good idea to reduce CO2 emissions. Meanwhile, the scientists attacked in climategate have been exonerated (link2).

http://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-now-agrees-global-warming-real-142616605.html

http://news.yahoo.com/climategate-scientists-cleared-wrongdoing-again-035209228.html

I agree, X2!

I slaughtered part of that. I should have been clear that GH gases initially occurring in low concentration relative to the concentrations of other GH gases experience the highest increases in absorption rate of radiation. IOW, absoption rates of radiation by GH gases are logarithmic...as the concentration of the gas increases its rate of increase in ability to absorb radiation declines up to a point were it is said to have reached saturation. At saturation further increases in the concentartion of the gas do not result in a substantially higher rate of adsorption of radiation.

Also, I should have referenced the rate at which humans have been burning fossil fuels for the last 150 years. The way I worded it it sounds like no one ever had a campfire until 1862.

Last edited:
I knew it was a joke post, stop trying to sell me stock in companies mike

A few kids I grew up with are now meteorologists, some are quite successful and they all say there is a lot of change happening that can't be easily explained away, also it could be that our technology is so advanced and people on edge that it could get blown out of proportion

I knew it was a joke post, stop trying to sell me stock in companies mike

A few kids I grew up with are now meteorologists, some are quite successful and they all say there is a lot of change happening that can't be easily explained away, also it could be that our technology is so advanced and people on edge that it could get blown out of proportion

Yep, alota stuff gets recycled. I;ve been reading some articles about new concerns over antibiotic resistant bacteria rendering modern medicine obsolescent.......

Yep, alota stuff gets recycled. I;ve been reading some articles about new concerns over antibiotic resistant bacteria rendering modern medicine obsolescent.......

Yep, I actually did some consulting work on that 12 years ago. The antibiotics are passing through the sanitary waste water treatment plants from hospitals and homes.... into the wild, in small concentrations, and the wild bacteria build up a resistance to the new antibiotics. It use to take about 10 years for resistant bacteria to show up in a hospital at the front door, now they show up 6-12 months after a new antibiotic is introduced. Hospitals are researching setting up special mini waste water pretreatment plants at the hospital sanitary sewer point of discharge to destroy the antibiotics......

Yep, I actually did some consulting work on that 12 years ago. The antibiotics are passing through the sanitary waste water treatment plants from hospitals and homes.... into the wild, in small concentrations, and the wild bacteria build up a resistance to the new antibiotics. It use to take about 10 years for resistant bacteria to show up in a hospital at the front door, now they show up 6-12 months after a new antibiotic is introduced. Hospitals are researching setting up special mini waste water pretreatment plants at the hospital sanitary sewer point of discharge to destroy the antibiotics......

I'm more concerned about my dick falling off from all the estrogen in the birth control pills that end up in drinking water......

I wonder what will be happening in about 5 years when the solar cycle is halfway through

Back