• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It is a sad day for my old Jeep......

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
Depressing rant, sorry if it is long, but depressing for me and this is my therapy.

So little back story here to set it up. In '99 I bought a '85 CJ-7 for cheap. Over the next 2 years I rebuilt it from the ground up!

New motor, fuel injection, BORLA exhaust, header, body panels replaced, painted, SOA suspension lockers, gears, 33's etc. Then I spent the remainder of the years after that building and altering; long arms and coilovers, 35's, custom stinger rear bumper, etc.

I could go on but it would take up a book to cover all the experiments I did with this Jeep.

Then April of 2007 I was looking at starting a family and needed something bigger. I had an XJ before as my daily driver while the CJ was my fun machine until it was totaled. I had always wanted to mod an XJ and this was my opportunity. My friend in MOAB had always had Jeep envy and told me he wanted my CJ, and if I ever wanted to sell it he would take care of it and off my hands.

I could not afford to money pits.............

So I did...........sold it to him little over two years ago. When I sold it to him I specifically asked him to promise that if he needed cash or was tempted to sell it off I get first dibs to get it back in my hands.

Fast forward to yesterday. I am talking to his brother in Kansas who is also a good friend and in our conversation which sounds like this;

blah blah blah blah

Him; "So guess what I am sitting on?"

Me; "What? Your arse?"

Him; "No fawker (laughs)guess?"

Me; "I have no clue what?"

Him; "Your old Jeep!"

Me; "What?!?"

Him; "Brother finally sold it to me."

Me; "What do you mean he finally sold it to you?"

Him; "I have been bugging him for months."

Me; "I am lost, I know he is tight money wise, but he said he would sell it back to me if it came down to that?"

Him; "I didn't know that."

Me; "Well he did it, how much did he sell it to you?"

Him; "$300"

Me; "What!?!?!"

Him; "It was a steal, but not much left of her since you sold it to him."

Me; "What do you mean not much left?"

Him; "Oh shite! ............He didn't tell you did he?"

Me; "Tell me what?"

Him; "He rolled it last year and pretty much destroyed the body."

Me; "What???? He did not say anything to me about it over the last year of talking to him."

Him; "Dang dude sorry he must have been chicken to tell you."

I could go on but I found out by talking to him more that his brother/my friend basically needed money and sold every piece off of it after he rolled it. Only thing my buddy got from his brother /my friend is the frame, wheels/tires, axles, suspension, and the front and rear bumpers.

Haven't called my friend yet to here his side..................

Here are the pics i was sent on it.

Maybe my friend will rebuild her right. I will see if I can find pics of it the way I remember it.

Rest in piece my old Jeep friend. :patriot:

cj7-1.jpg

cj7-2.jpg

cj7-3.jpg

I do not have any good pics of the Jeep before I sold it as I have some but are not digital. Here is what got though.

cj7-4.jpg

cj7-5.jpg

Last edited:
I feel ya brutha. Sucks sometimes just how deeply these mechanical monsters can dig themselves into your persona.

My very first car was a HUGE bonding thing for me and my dad. Growing up, he and I would thumb through the old boxes of photographs and he'd always seem to get pics of family/friends with a car from his past in the background. Well anyway, he had 2 cars in those photographs that I kept coming back to: A '66 Impala SS (white with blue interior, 4sp, 327) and a '65 Pontiac Lemans (brown sport coupe(post) black interior, 4sp, 326). He had a pic of that Lemans smashed head-on into a dumpster - said he'd taken a newspaper deliver job while my mother was off work, pregnant with me and he'd not set the e-brake when running papers up into an apartment complex.

Fast forward to 1983. I'm 14 and had been mowing lawns and delivering newspapers for a couple years saving my money for my first car. Dad shows me a Thrifty Nickle ad for a '65 Lemans sport coupe for sale and said he wanted to go check it out. This wasn't unusual - he was always going to "look" at cars just for fun. Long story short...... We go look at the Lemans, drive it and my dad asks me how much money I had saved. I told him $600.... but the guy wanted $850 for the car and wasn't budging..... dad ponied up the rest, said "Happy birthday a few months early." :thumbup:

So over the course of the next couple years, we stripped that Lemans down, painted it a really rich metalic burgundy, stomped around in junk yards to replace the worn interior and trim. For my 16th birthday, dad took me to get my license and then surprised me with a set of Pontiac ralley wheels for my Lemans! The car was a 3-on-the-tree and I'd later swap in a Muncie Rock Crusher 4 speed and did some tinkering...... I loved that car and I got so many compliments for it.

Then I got stupid and sold it in favor of a '70 Chevelle set up for 1/4 mile racing...... I sold it to a classmate in the neighborhood. His dad was big into classic cars too so I figured it'd get taken care of....... wrong. I watched as the kid wrecked it a few times, changed the interior with some funky velour inserts in the seats, and after fixing the second wreck, painted it a gawd awful color of purple....... :mad: He mentioned leaving for the Navy and I told him to let me know if he wanted to sell it before he left. He didn't and it sat in his back yard for 4 years. I kept in touch with his dad - he wanted the kid to sell it but couldn't talk him into it. Then suddenly - it was gone. He'd sold it.

I only have polaroids of that car in it's prime - I'd have to scan 'em but it looked damn-near identical to this:

65gto.jpg

Last edited:
My first car was a 1939 mercedes 4 door convertable i got it when i was stationed in germany , and as i was required to have permission and be a e4 to own a car the commander made me sell it Ended up getting a fiat topalino about a year later when i made rank it was a pos and i've had lawnmowere with more horsepower

Like this Jim?

fs_7091054-1-1.jpg

picture.php

The internet says these two are both 1939 cars, but the red/black one looks older with the split windshield and fender mounted spare tire....... :dunno: but I believe both are a different "series" - the red/black being a "320" and the blue/white being a "230".

Last edited:
Dang. Very sorry to hear about that skully.

I kinda have a story like that but not really HAHA. But about a month after i sold my white 2 door i heard a couple stories about it. First i heard someone stole it. I saw it on craigs but thought nothing of it. Then a few months after that i heard it was totaled.

my first car was a 1984 Chevy S10 2.8L 4spd 2wd longbed reg cab. that is the truck i first learned how to wrench on, and how to make use of junkyards for. i wound up having the rear axle welded and basically used it as a 2wd mudbogger (rocking some massive 30's) with dreams of a V8 swap and pre-runner conversion. Then I saw a syclone for the first time and decided i wanted a sport truck, i traded it in on a 98 s10 regular cab shortbox 2wd. i found out later (after going back to the dealership with hopes of buying back my truck) that they'd sent it straight to the crusher for being so old and beat down. at least i was the last one to really drive it. i still miss that truck.

Sad day indeed Skully!

I still have dreams about my '64 T-Bird: The tires are flat, the interior is ratted, the carburator is missing but somehow the engine manages to run on three cylinders, and I'm trying to drive it home...

You're always going to feel that way about the Jeep you built.

Like this Jim?

fs_7091054-1-1.jpg

picture.php

The internet says these two are both 1939 cars, but the red/black one looks older with the split windshield and fender mounted spare tire....... :dunno: but I believe both are a different "series" - the red/black being a "320" and the blue/white being a "230".

I wish. mine was the el cheapo model can' buy much on 90 bucks a mont no radio had little semaphore fag things for turn signals and a canister on the floor board you could fill with grease and then foot pump it and grease the entire car
remember gas was rationed to 25 gallons a month and i kept my gas card and would sell the ration ' big time black marketeer sold the gas for 1'00 a gallon
got caught and was given extra duty for a month
' all kinds of crap details :>{)))

Last edited by a moderator:
that blue and white one has the semaphore flag turn signals on it.

Thanks guys, I knew most of you have been there.

I came back online today and realized lack of sleep with a 4 week old and an almost 2 year old is definitely effecting my spelling.............:gee:

Rest in piece my old Jeep friend. :patriot:

With a dark sense of humor this is kind of funny, instead of "Peace" I spelled "Piece" .........................essentially where my old Jeep is now, in pieces!

I do not know what is bothering me more?

A.) The fact the Jeep I bought 9 years ago which I poured my blood, sweat, & tears into with a lot of pride for my accomplishment and the fact she was my baby is now in a worse condition than when I first bought her with everything I did went to waste as my friend just looked at it as "parts".

or

B.) The fact for a year talking to my friend asking him; "You still got my baby." with him making vague statements; "Yeah, still got her!" making me believe that meant he was taking care of her, living and wheeling her in the best trails in the country; MOAB! Only to find out through his brother by accident she was sitting for the last year being parted out to a skeleton of her former self rusting and now finishing out her life in "Kansas", and all this time my friend was too chicken to tell me........................

Last edited:
I still own my first car and it is on the side of my house. 1952 Chevy pickup. I am trying to make sure I never sell it. I have had numerous offers and it has been hard between moves and things to store it, but still have it.

I still own my first car and it is on the side of my house. 1952 Chevy pickup. I am trying to make sure I never sell it. I have had numerous offers and it has been hard between moves and things to store it, but still have it.

I should never have sold her.........................:banghead:I totally regret it now, but can't change what has happened right?

So move on I guess.

i've got a few cars i regret selling. of course at the age of 26 i've owned 16 cars and never bought a single one with intentions of flipping it. still, out of all those cars there are the few that i wish i still owned. thats what i get for getting so bored so easily. part of my motivation for building a buggy out of my rolled xj even though it would be way easier to just buy another rig.

i wish i still had my 84 s10, my 87 scirocco 16v, my 78 rabbit (just sent her to the scrapper last week), and my 99 cherokee even though it wasn't my fault it went bye bye.

I haven't had a chance really to talk to my friend in MOAB that bought my baby about its destruction, however he sent me a message with a pic of his brand new JK the other day...............I ignored it at first, then he sent me another one today.

SO I sent a message back that read something like this;

"Nice JK, you going to roll this one 2, tear it down to the frame, then sell it to you brother 2?"

He replied; "@$#$@ my brother told you didn't he? I just didn't know how to tell you."

"I said you should have been able to, shite happens man. How in the hell did you do it?"

"The old Mine road I was on gave out and I tried to power through it but got off the edge and rolled it 4 times. Luckily I got out."

A pic he sent me of the roll;

85cj7-04.jpg

I know shite happens...........I did see he removed the front part of the cage, so I am glad he got out and was okay...........but the fact I could have mourned my baby when it happened instead of him trying to hide it from me for a year is what I realized made me upset.

I am actually proud of my handiwork here though. I built the front stinger / integrated engine cage and it held up pretty good! :patriot:

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance really to talk to my friend in MOAB that bought my baby about its destruction, however he sent me a message with a pic of his brand new JK the other day...............I ignored it at first, then he sent me another one today.

SO I sent a message back that read something like this;

"Nice JK, you going to roll this one 2, tear it down to the frame, then sell it to you brother 2?"

He replied; "@$#$@ my brother told you didn't he? I just didn't know how to tell you."

"I said you should have been able to, shite happens man. How in the hell did you do it?"

"The old Mine road I was on gave out and I tried to power through it but got off the edge and rolled it 4 times. Luckily I got out."

A pic he sent me of the roll;

85cj7-04.jpg

I know shite happens...........I did see he removed the front part of the cage, so I am glad he got out and was okay...........but the fact I could have mourned my baby when it happened instead of him trying to hide it from me for a year is what I realized made me upset.

I am actually proud of my handiwork here though. I built the front stinger / integrated engine cage and it held up pretty good! :patriot:

I forgot to add he text me saying he is glad it is out in the open now and feels like a heavy weight has lifted.......

Indeed - that sucks for you to see it all bashed up. Sorry brutha.

Now, for the burning question....... Why the hell did he remove the front half of the cage????? :doh:

Wow! Matt I bet your dad was pissed when he saw that picture. I dont know how many times he said he was freakin ticked off about that Jeep while I was there Saturday!:tears:

Back