• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

insane 4.0 oil leakage

no i know i can't readily assume its the RMS, but based on the symptoms it sure sounds like its contributing. it may not be the whole reason why its leaking, but i feel it is contributing. think about it, go up hill, leaks out a quart. go down hill leak out hardly any. sounds a lot like an leaky RMS would make sense no?

and the CCV shouldn't be plugged at all, remember the lines are all brand new and i have cleaned the inside of the valve cover including the reed valve for the CCV. i'll try to get a compression test done tomorrow to see if its a blown piston ring or not

RMS leak could come and go with a clogged CCV. Recheck the CCV line, the small one in the rear and the orifice!!! Make sure the vacuum side at the manifold is not leaking vacuum. Consider enlarging the CCV rear line orifice a little, like 25-50% larger.

Check the port I mentioned on the manifold as well... mine was entirely plugged. Doesn't matter how clear the tubes are if they are connected to blocked fittings where they draw their vacuum from.

Check the port I mentioned on the manifold as well... mine was entirely plugged. Doesn't matter how clear the tubes are if they are connected to blocked fittings where they draw their vacuum from.

Never ocured to me to do that or suggest it, but now that you mention it, and recalling the huge masses of solid carbon I found under the valve cover, and in the intake, and hoses on the 89 when I did the head job on it, that make a lot of sense!!:yelclap:

checked the orifice- clear

checked the CCV line- clear

checked the port- it wasn't clogged but did have some grime build up, so it was cleaned.

maybe i'll be pulling the valve cover again to double check its clean where the orifice is.

another thing i found today that may or may not be unrelated though;
when its idling i can hear sort of an intermittent vacuum leak. i'll hear a vacuum swooshing for a few seconds then hear it cut out, and then come back etc. it sounds like it could be coming from any vacuum line, very hard to pin point. i also have a rough idle when the engine warms up. again, i don't think this is related to this oil problem but i figured i may as well let you all know everything thats going on. maybe theres a correlation I'm not thinking of.

Back