• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important Evans Creek info-

Doyle said:
out of curiousity, how can guys with buggies wheel up there if you have to have a street legal rig or is it a non issue?

never been up there but I have been considering the purchase of a non-street legal wheeler that I would tow to wheel, I assume if they can ticket you for no mudflaps it would be illegal for a non road going buggy to wheel also?

On the trails you can use quads, buggies, bikes, etc. They do not need to be street legal.
I think the concern comes from on the road in and out.

I don't think you are supposed to drive anything not street legal from the lower parking lot up to the campground/upper parking lot either, but we do see quads regularly on this road and that might be changing if they are giving tickets now for that?

Michael

2xtreme said:
On the trails you can use quads, buggies, bikes, etc. They do not need to be street legal.
I think the concern comes from on the road in and out.

I don't think you are supposed to drive anything not street legal from the lower parking lot up to the campground/upper parking lot either, but we do see quads regularly on this road and that might be changing if they are giving tickets now for that?

Michael
They are getting picky about vehicles not on the main highway into the ORV area, but also the connecting roads (7920, IIRC) to and from the trails. One thing that was mentioned at the Forest Plan meeting a few weeks ago is actually designating the 7920 to be a "trail" that way all vehciles (including quads, truggies, etc) would be allowed to drive on them legally.

This is something they did at Naches on the road to the Funny Rocks, and seems to be a really good idea to me.

As to the trail repair, a bunch of folks have expressed interest on PNWJeep.com, so this really seems to be gaining momentum. As things progress on PNW, I'll keep everyone here in the loop.

-----Matt-----

KarlVP said:
If you get cited for not having a NW forest pass and you are using the FS lands, then that's YOUR FAULT. I don't care if you are wheeling, or camping. Just get a damn NW Forest Pass. It's only $30.

As for the ranger giving you shit for illegality of your rigs, I have NEVER had a problem up there when on the trail or heading from camp to the trailhead. When you are zipping around on the roads though, by LAW, you have to be street legal. Most of the time, they will look the other way if you are just heading down to the parking area or whatnot.

Now, if you are leaving the parking area and heading out, you get a ticket, that's YOUR FAULT. Your rig should be 100% legal. I know it's a PITA, my rig isn't 100% legal, but if I were to get a ticket, then so be it. I know the rules.

I am 100% behind law enforcement at wheeling and ORV areas. If you have a problem with your ticket. Take it to the Judge, that is what he is there for. Don't argue with a police officer/ranger. They are just doing thier job.

x2

Adam

any news on when this trail repair might take place?

I'm gonna be busy the next couple months, but want to try and schedule it so I can help.

We'll be discussing it at our next meeting 8/3 in order to come up with a date that works.

I vote not making the trails super easy like some shit-clubs do every year with an excavator, backhoe, and 50,000 lbs of gravel. (Due mostly to their factory 1912 MXX can't make an obstacle) Instead, how 'bout doing something constructive like filling in the vehicle swallowing holes on the FS road TO Evans?

No smiley. And yes that does happen.

mud1059 said:
I vote not making the trails super easy like some shit-clubs do every year with an excavator, backhoe, and 50,000 lbs of gravel. (Due mostly to their factory 1912 MXX can't make an obstacle) Instead, how 'bout doing something constructive like filling in the vehicle swallowing holes on the FS road TO Evans?

No smiley. And yes that does happen.
I agree that we don't really need to make it easier but with one caveat....it needs to be looked at with an eye toward minimizing illegal bypasses. I think we can all agree that some spots are so difficult that bypasses around bypasses are being created which does nothing to help our cause. If adding a couple yards of gravel here and there to shore up an area that needs work to prevent illegal bypassing, then we should agree to do it.

Some trails up there will always be hardcore.....others won't. Minimizing resource damage on both should be the goal so that both ends of the spectrum, easy and difficult, can remain open.

As for the road in, it's a state highway and spending resources on that versus the trail system, in my mind, would be a 2nd or 3rd choice. Since there are significantly more users on the road including Mt. Rainier guests, logging companies and residents, I think we should let tax dollars deal with that.

Last edited:
Back