• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IFS/IRS XJ/MJ

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
i have been searching for ways to lower my f100 and most forums and searches end up with crown vic ifs set ups. which got me thinking, why not IFS/IRS a XJ/MJ for street use? i'm sure there are a few vehicles out there for which can be robbed of there parts to make work. i dont know, its a thought. i figured i would throw this out here on NAXJA and see what happens. i do want to build a street MJ later on. it may be a guinea pig.

Buy all the parts from China for the current iteration of the Chinese Cherokee(Knight/Qishi S12). It has independent front suspension made for the XJ unibody. The time here is finding the supplier that will ship to the USA and the money to buy cheap parts.

http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/04/27/jeep-cherokee-is-still-in-production-in-china/

S12_BAW_39.jpg

S12_BAW_40.jpg

If it's a Nissan Frontier/X-Terra front end, were better off with the Dana 30! Know a guy who was thinking about converting his Frontier to SFA and was asking about the front axle under my sister's '92 Briarwood (prior to scrapping it) as a swappable axle. When I told him the Turdy's don't have a good reputation, he tells me it's better than the Nissan set up when lifted. I later mentioned it to somebody else with a X-Terra and he confirmed that the Nissan front drive hardware is pretty fragile.

that is an interesting design, we are getting somewhere, but i think some fab work is in order. in my project file i'm writing up for my street manche, the truck sits low. so if i went with the s12 front end i would have to suck it up into the frame so the control arms are parallel to the ground at ride height. my one problem i run into when it comes to the IFS is steering. there is an oil pan in the way of the rack and pinion and that will need to be over come. but for now this is a theory exercise, actuality is later

I like doing things out of the box. I want a shop truck, but a low and wide sorta hot rod/pro touring look. I love the aesthetics of the truck, just can't get it low enough to the ground with a traditional solid axle. I might so a swing arm set up like on my f100, which in actuality I could find a swing arm ranger and see if that will fit. Its roughly the same track width.

Other projects ya'll might be interested I .
1968 f100 "ranger" soon to have a 2jz/t400 combo
1992 mazda miata that will be getting my current mj's 2wd ax15 and a buddies srt4 2.4 turbo.

-Ian

I happen to have a C4 chassis sitting in a field waiting for something like this...but I've yet to find the limits of the XJ Cherokee chassis and solid axles.

I honestly think that's one of the things that made the XJ what it is, even in stock form on all terrains, they are surprisingly capable if not capable of telling physics to go screw it self........ The XJ' s some of you guys have built on a budget are rolling proof of that! Really, who would have thought that a trail proven platform could go and play on autocrosses, road courses, and twisty roads with confidence despite it having two solid axles, especially when the rear suspension can be traced back for a few hundred years.

Back