• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need some guidance on tires..

stevem50

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a new-to-me f150 that will need some new rubber. It will see towing duty, some light offroad, and in the mid atlantic, the possibility of crazy snow out of nowhere.

I'm fond of grabber at-2's for an all around tire, got them on my xj now, but have also looked at the nitto Terra grappler g2's. Anyone have an opinion on the 2 in question, or a suggestion of another similar tire , both are less than $160 each for a 265-70-17

For me, I run Cooper ATPs on my CTD and my MJ. Standard Load (SL) on the MJ and E range on the Cummins.

I love my ATPS but they are a Discount Tire Direct only tire.

I have a ton of buddies running Cooper AT3s and they are getting 50K plus out of them on heavy diesel trucks. For the $140 price tag of the AT3s, I may try them if my ATPs ever wear out.

I can suggest *not* getting the new BFG AT. I went through 3 sets of the old style on my Superduty, and now have the new ones. Under a good load, they get super squirly on the highway - and are wearing probably 50% faster than the old tires did.

This is great/poor timing......I was just getting ready to order a set of BFG KO2's for my XJ, as it will be my DD for the foreseeable future. 50% decrease in tire wear is no-bueno.......

Most of the local Harvest/Ranch trucks run the Cooper AT3's with decent mileage. I thought about trying some when I got my JK wheels, but I got a decent set of Yoko Geolandar AT-s, and got a couple matching new tires.
I really like the Geos. on my MJ. I definitely recommend them.
The Grabbers are good tires also, so if you are into that I would run those unless you want to try something new.

This is great/poor timing......I was just getting ready to order a set of BFG KO2's for my XJ, as it will be my DD for the foreseeable future. 50% decrease in tire wear is no-bueno.......
Cal mentioned on his Tow rig, not a lighter vehicle like our heeps. I've been over the BFG AT KO for some time, but the new KO2 are supposed to be better.

firestone destination AT are very smooth, work well on snow and ice and have good treadlife. I always buy when there is a buy3 deal or high rebate. my "new 99XJ" came with BFG AT/TA KO and unfortunately are LT rated LR "C" so 6 ply I guess. these on an XJ ride like a lumber wagon, I am down to 30 PSI for civilized ride. my daughter has a near identical XJ with same RANCHO RS7128 RS7000MT shocks all the way around, but she has the firestone destination AT. her XJ has identical snow and ice traction but rides way better.

and of course michelin LTX are "the best" for street use as you mentioned, but sooooo expensive.

I can suggest *not* getting the new BFG AT. I went through 3 sets of the old style on my Superduty, and now have the new ones. Under a good load, they get super squirly on the highway - and are wearing probably 50% faster than the old tires did.

This is odd, my buddy manages Grand Tire in Moab and he's got almost 25,000 miles on a set of KO2's on his 4dr longbed Duramax work truck and he has nothing but praise for the tires. :dunno:

This is odd, my buddy manages Grand Tire in Moab and he's got almost 25,000 miles on a set of KO2's on his 4dr longbed Duramax work truck and he has nothing but praise for the tires. :dunno:

What kind of load is he putting on them? I thought they were great empty, but when I tossed 3200 pounds in the bed and 8K more on the hitch, they went from awesome to crazy ex girlfriend real fast..

Makes sense, he's not towing a trailer/race rig on a daily basis, more like up to 3500lbs in heavy equip tires.

I think mostly its the weight of the cabover camper.

The old style tires took it great. The new ones are siped a lot more nad appear to be a softer compound.

I run siped Hankook Dynapro AT's on my 2000 Expedition. Wear has been great but I would recommend the LT over the P rated tires though. They've worked great for me offroad and are beasts in the snow. They're okay in mud but that probably goes for any AT tire.

Man, I have run nothing but BFG A/Ts for 30 years.
I put new K/Os on my Super Duty a year ago and I love them.
I regularly tow a 14,000# dump trailer the wear is minimal....

I can share only my experience. I LOVED the old ones. Probably won't wait for these to wear out. :(

Back