• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need opinions..

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
im considering selling my xj, and i would like some of your opinions on what you think it would be worth. Its a 1988 Jeep Cherokee
Engine- 4.6L Stroker- 1988 block, bored .030" over, 4.2L crank reground (offset .010"), reconditioned 4.2 rods w/ ARP bolts, all clevite bearings, hypeurtectic pistons, mopar headgasket, new rockers, new pushrods, newer model valvecover, 7120 head ported & polished, 99^ intake and 91-95 throttlebody and fuel rail, 24lb/hr injectors (new with motor), APN header. 8,000miles

Trans is an AX-15 out of a wrangler that was rebuilt about 2000 miles ago. clocked tcase higher.
Tcase is a 1988 np231j with an AA SYE that was also rebuilt about 2000 miles ago.
CV driveshafts with allnew heavy duty ujoints
Axles- Ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10's and an aussie locker (disk brakes, 31 spl axles) ruffstuff swap kit, HP non disco dana 30 front (4.10's, aussie locker, timken unit bearings, spicer balljoints, spicer 760x ujoints, g2 gears and bearings, timken axle seals) swapped in about 500 miles ago
5" of lift- Rusty's front springs, Rough country long arm upgrade, rough country shocks, rear is s-10 bastard pack for about 4", with a 2" longer shackle. running stock shocks in rear due to raised shock mounts on axle.
Interior is decent, when i did the motor i went through and used underline all over the pan and quarters, added sound mat, and shred insulation. drivers seat is tore, passenger seat is not tore as bad, but has permastains, carpet is in decent shape, rear seat is in decent shape, new headliner, painted all the plastic panels (didnt turn out like i wanted).
custom tube rear bumper, fenders are trimmed and look good. bedlined with duplicolor roll on from upper body line all the way down, then sprayed over with black to keep gloss.
Cragar soft 8's with 265/70-17 old style mt/r's with 80% tread.

We don't advocate selling your XJ.

...... unless you're selling in order to get into another XJ.

:D

I'll give ya $300 tomorrow! But like Troy said only if your gonna use it to buy another xj

Seriously sounds like a nice jeep but I have no idea what it'd be worth

it seems ive dug a hole with this thing, and im getting tired of dumpin money into it, plus i need the money for a DD since im moving to North carolina in august ha. i dont think id get nearly as much as ive got in it so ill probably keep it and just park it for a while.

Yup doesn't seem like they are ever worth what we put into em, but if you find the right person you might get a decent price!

Yeah, building and modifying an XJ and profiting from it, much less breaking even is a very rare occurrence.

Without the advantage of photos, it seems like your rig fits in the $3.5K - $4.5K range. However...... if you browse Craigslist...... there's a BUNCH of 'em out there at that price range and lower that ain't selling in this economy.

i have that much in the motor and trans:gee: looks like ill keep it

The truth of the matter is that this is a Hobby. Hobbies rarely, if ever, pay for themselves. Boaters call their hobby a "hole in the water into which you pour money". The same can be said here. The Heeps are a collection of used parts when it comes to selling them. Mine is no exception. If I were to put it up for sale, I expect I would take a bath on it. I saw a Dana 30 on Craigslist, contacted the guy (it had the gear set in it I wanted) and he wanted $2500 for it. A D30... I passed on it for one I for for a couple of hundred.

Now, my 63 year old Lionel Trains are a different matter...

O-Gauge-Steamer, get it? A Basement full of O Gauge Trains. All of my locomotives are steam era. Not a sniesel engine to be found. Just like our Heeps, mechanical nightmares on wheels... Yup, I suffer from two, money draining, diseases. Scale Trains and Heeps.

i didnt build it to try and profit, or for it to pay for itself. it was a jeep we had for like 5 years, dad parked it because he didnt feel like putting injectors in it, so then ineeded my first vehicle to drive daily, and it was all up and down hills from there

Some people can walk away from the pit. I'm stuck in mine, until I can afford a replacement. :)

Back