• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I could see this, to darn funny

scottmcneal

NAXJA Forum User
A good laugh now matter what time of day.... Now some people are really stupid!!!!
Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die.

This is so priceless, and so, so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the mo nthly charge. The balance had been $0.00 when she died, but now was somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank.

Here is the exchange :

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died back in January.'

Citibank : 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member : 'Maybe you should turn it over to collections.'

Citibank : 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member : 'So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

Citibank : 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member : 'Do you think God will be mad at her?'

Citibank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member : 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'

Citibank : 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.'

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member : 'I'm calling to tell you, she died back in January with a $0 balance.'

Citibank Supervisor: 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member : 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Citibank Supervisor: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member : 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info was given)

Citibank Supervisor: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member : 'Sure.' (Fax number was given )

After they get the fax :

Citibank Supervisor: 'Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member : 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. She won't care.'

Citibank Supervisor: 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply.'

(What is wrong with these people ?!?)

Family Member : 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Citibank Supervisor: 'That might help.'

Family Member : ' Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Citibank Supervisor: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member : 'And what do you do with dead people on your planet???

went through the same crap trying to cancel my grandmas' satellite tv, " well sir she's past!" yes I understand, "but she was only two years ito a three year contract! a early cancellation fee will apply!"

Why not? These people just listen to the computers.

I once got a bill for $0.00 (that's right, zero dollars and zero cents. The "zero sense" comes in a minute...)

I, properly, ignored it. Hell - when I get something saying I don't owe anything, it's reasonable to assume that I'm current and paid off and that it's not a problem anymore.

A month or so later, I get a bill saying I still owe $0.00, and that my oustanding balance of $0.00 is now thirty days past due.

Isn't that interesting?

I let it go for another month to see what would happen. Sure enough - my balance of $0.00 was now considered sixty days past due, and I need to pay before I get referred to collections! Oh, this just gets better and better...

What the Hell - I let it go. Two weeks later, I get a letter from some collections agency saying that an "unfavourable report" has been added to my credit history because I owe - you guessed it! - $0.00 plus interest.

I called the agency, gave them my account, and they asked me if I wanted to pay the balance. "Great! How much do I owe?" (already knowing the answer...)

"$0.00. Do you want to put that on a credit card?"
"Listen to yourself. I have an outstanding balance of $0.00 - with interest, that's still $0.00. And you want me to put it on a credit card that I don't have?"
"You can also mail in a cheque or money order."
"Am I the only one who is listening to you? You're getting ready to harrass me for - listen carefully, now - absolutely nothing. You want me to make a payment for - one more time for the slow ones - absolutely nothing. I don't have a credit card - I don't want one. I don't have a checking account - they're more hassle than I need. To make a payment, I have to mail you a money order. I'm not going to spend more for the MO than for the payment - I'm not paying out a buck to make a zero payment to you guys. You want me to pay you zero dollars and zero cents, you have to send me ten dollars to cover the MO, postage, and my time."
"I'll have to get my supervisor."
"Go ahead, I'll wait."

----- TIME PASSES -----

Supervisor gets on the line.
"I'm going to stop you right here and go over this precisely once. I've been sent to collections for a zero balance. Your system shows that my outstanding balance - including interest - is zero dollars and zero cents. You're telling me I have to pay zero dollars and zero cents.
"I don't have a checking account, I don't have a credit card. If you want me to mail in payment for zero dollars and zero cents, I have to get a money order. I have to stand in line for one a the Postal People. If you absolutely insist on making strident demands for zero dollars and zero cents (because you don't check the balances when you pick up the debt, apparently) you are going to have to send me a USPS Postal Money Order for ten dollars to cover the money order, the postage, the envelope, and my time standing in line. A cheque will not be accepted.
"Or, you can just remove the balance and the unfavourable report from my credit report - which is likely to be easier."

"What is your address?"
?!?!?
"Why for do you want my address?"

"So we know where to send the money order."

Oooookaaaayyyy... I give my address.

"Sir, you should see your money order in about a week. Here is the account number you need to indicate on your payment, and please let us know when you send it."

???

"We are unable to cancel the debt - as long as the system thinks you owe something, you have to make the payment." (!) "Your making the payment will allow us to consider the debt paid in full." (!) "And, if it takes ten dollars for you to do that, fine." (I should have asked for more to see what would have happened.) "We'll just bill the client." (I'd worry about that one - but they apparently didn't check things either. Ten bucks wouldn't be enough to get their attention - I should have asked for a hundred or so.)

So, while I find the OP amusing, I don't find it all that surprising.

Most of this crap is handled by call centers in other countries, and the only know enough english to tel you what the computer says...

I say move the jobs back to america, so we can get away from stupid services...

We had the same thing happen when my Dad passed away.

We were like OK, well keep sending him the bills. I'm pretty sure hes not going to pay them. Send him to collections, i don''t think he'll care very much...

Some people are just idiots.

I had a friend that took all the money out of a savings account once. They gave her a little bit of interest for that same month and it had a balance of two cents. She never closed the acount, so they finally sent her a check for two cents. She framed it in her house for laughs!

poorboy_616 said:
Most of this crap is handled by call centers in other countries, and the only know enough english to tel you what the computer says...

I say move the jobs back to america, so we can get away from stupid services...

Now thats not nice.. Very true but not nice.. I hope you don't get sued for thinking that way.. LOL :doh:

i just got a call from who knows where by a guy calling himself "Mike Jones" (he could barely pronounce "his" name, mind you) asking me if i had been to the movies in the last 12 months. i said "daaaaaaaaaayum you dat foo Mike Jones? callin mah azz? TIGHT! when you gunna put out a new album homie??" *click*

:D

scottmcneal said:
Now thats not nice.. Very true but not nice.. I hope you don't get sued for thinking that way.. LOL :doh:

I reserve my right to free speech.....

Though in this day and world, someone just might.... LOL

ALL of my credit card courtesy calls are done by a call center. NOT A SINGLE PERSON THAT I HAVE SPOKEN WITH, can speak clear precise ENGLISH......

I don't even listen to them anymore. I just hang up and do all of my business with the card thru the online account features....

Back