• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace harmonic balancer ?

xjnco

NAXJA Forum User
What all is involved and will I need a special removal tool to pull it? Remove fan, radiator?

I swapped another 4.0 into my '96 sport at half a million miles and 1000 miles later I'm now getting a constant squeal from the fan belt. Stopped at an repair shop and upon closer look the harmonic balancer appears out of line as the belt is starting to fray and is not aligning proper on the water pump pulley. Apparently I will have to swap the balancer from the old motor onto the newer motor. I have no garage to work in so I'm trying to figure out what it's going to cost for a fairly quick repair. Thanks

To install it, buy a grade 8 bolt with the correct thread that is an inch longer than the factory bolt, and use that to pull the balancer onto the snout of the crankshaft.

The shop that swapped in the newer motor replaced the $50 autozone lifetime warrantied harmonic balancer for $25, problem solved...
Thanks

Back