• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard was your paycheck hit?

Its flippin' retarded! I'm paying 40 more a month in taxes... great! Not to mention health care goes up and i might get a 10 cent raise... efff meee!

I'd rather starve than take a handout.

THIS! My schooling was paid for through Vocational rehabilitation(a state agency here in Indiana). I am thankful that I was able to get help due to my Muscular Dystrophy. I tried to get help from welfare back before I got on at Cummins. I worked at a taco bell and went to school, obviously trying to make something of myself. They offered me $10 a month food stamps. I was so angry I had a tear in my eye. I said what the F*** am I supposed to do with that, and walked out. I promptly went to a temp agency, got on at cummins. They hired me 6 months later and i've been good since. Minues the 5 month layoff.

It's all about the choices you make.

The trucking industry is starving for good drivers right now. Anyone of you who has a decent driving record and is over 21 could hop in a truck right now and make 40k a year with good benefits and an immediate roof over your head.

I bring this up all the time and constantly get excuses like "I hate driving" or "I can't be away from my family" or whatever. True it has a lot of downfalls but IMO it beats starving, being homeless or taking a government handout.
I've got 3 failure to inspect tickets in the last 2 years (all fixed now, but looks bad), plus a minor at fault accident 2 years ago now. Are there any trucking companies out there that DON'T **** you hard if you quit too fast after going through their school? My impression from BSing with a handful of truckers I know is that most (swift, etc) will come after you in a big $$$ way if you go through their school (which they require unless you have experience) and then don't work at least x years with them.

I love driving (never driven an OTR rig with a billion gears, but I'd love to learn) and have no family.

Going through a regular driving school will cost you about$3000. Most of the companies that put you through their school will either be free if you contract with them for a year or in the $1500-2000 range. If you quit they charge you for all of that. I wouldn't say they are screwing you, just getting their money's worth one way or another.

Where a lot of companies screw you is that they know they pretty much own you for that year and they give no mercy on the crap loads and conditions they pile on you.

I think this is a far bigger issue with the largest companies like England, Werner, Swift and such. If you can find a smaller company it doesn't seem to be as big an issue.

1500-3k isn't that big a deal. Hmmm.

Definitely going to have to consider this if a few interviews don't pan out.

a person grossing over 50,000 annual salary should see 1,000 additional dollars taken this year for social security....was my understanding

Abeezilmal is just marking ground here. He's still getting over the loss of the accelerated depreciation sked for Cap Equip a few years ago. Did you even buy anything that could be realized? We both know the sex toys don't count, neither do the little play guns you got...

:D

Dude, the younger dopes (sheeple), you need, to pay for the later days.

Seriously, you, of all people, questioning this? Exactly what part of Capitalism 101 did you miss?

:D

Well my pay check went UP..... Same Hrs worked, same normal deductions, Credit union,Union dues,ect, Except Federal with holding was less ??
I blame end of year accounting glitch.........Will pay more plus the screw-up next check...

My effective tax went up 6% and $3000/yr. I haven't taken a handout in my life, and I work full time to pay for school. I would be embarrassed to take a handout, its not a pride issue its the fact that I will not be a burden to anyone else.

Admit it. Your just a welfare recipient aren't you? :D

No. But that would save me a lot of time spent working and my even increase my take home pay. I would have weekends off too.:D

I hope when I am able to retire that all the money I,ve paid in to SS will still be there ,and not spent on some border jumper for free rent & medical care...

I hope when I am able to retire that all the money I,ve paid in to SS will still be there ,and not spent on some border jumper for free rent & medical care...

Good luck with that, my money's on that the border jumper will take your social security and have dibs on which room in your house he gets to live in rent free...

It's all about the choices you make.

The trucking industry is starving for good drivers right now. Anyone of you who has a decent driving record and is over 21 could hop in a truck right now and make 40k a year with good benefits and an immediate roof over your head.

I bring this up all the time and constantly get excuses like "I hate driving" or "I can't be away from my family" or whatever. True it has a lot of downfalls but IMO it beats starving, being homeless or taking a government handout.

I drive, and i've been doing it for 8 years , and trust me this profession will not yield an easy quick 40k starting pay ...I make just over 50k , but that's not starting pay ...lol...the average rookie will make maybe around 25k with their starter companies ...lol...yes you'll get a roof over your head , which with the price of fuel and slim profit due to freight /economy the companies will fire a driver who idles the truck on break for heat or A/C even on their mandatory 10hr break , and you will work around 70hrs and call sitting wide awake at docks waiting to get a load your "break" while off duty ...If you don't get Gubber-mint job assistance training it costs 3-4k to get a cdl through a school ,which is required to have to be hired at trucking companies , then you will need to be a super low paid student when starting at those companies for atleast 2 months ...There is no "shortage" of truck drivers ...lol...their is a flood of them daily comming in as rookies fresh out of "cdl school" , but the TURN AROUND in the industry is in excess of 100% , which means it's like a revolvoing door in the industry ...and there is a reason for that . This job favors the responsible who expect to work their way up , But seems to get folks who have been told it's an easy job that entai;ls just cruising around and getting paid...lol...also it is very underpaid with a ton of work done for free as you only really get paid by the mile ,which is like being paid by the piece , which piece work is illegal in every profession , but trucking , which is exempt from the ...FAIR WAGES AND STANRDS ACT...so there is no shortage of truckers just is a very hard industry to sruvive in until you can earn a living...Do the math if it was easy free money...lol...it would ne be so easy to get in the door .

Last edited:
I went through a driving school 16 years ago. Cost me $2500. They had a placement program that got me a job with a smallish to mid sized company in Montana. My first year I made $38,000. The next year I made $42,000 and the third year I bought my own truck and leased on with them making about $200k gross and I took home about $65K

The company lost a good dispatcher from a heart attack and took all his contacts with him. I went from running 14,000 miles a month down to about 8,000 and I couldn't afford to keep the truck.

Moved back to Utah and got a job hauling cars. Sweet gig. I ran one three day load one week and two the next week. Grossed about $48,000 a year till I hurt my back and couldn't keep up with the physical strain of that job.

Now I'm hauling propane. Home almost every night. Every Sunday and every other Saturday off. I'm making well in excess of $60k a year.

Sure not everyone will make that but if you stay away from the training companies and think for yourself it's not hard to make $40k your first year.

Back