• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade sand traction mat/device/thingy

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Didn't know where to post this.

Anybody make a sand mat device thingy for getting out of the sand? I made a pair out of plywood with strips of wood across the top(for the tires) and screw studs in the bottom(for the wood to not move in mud or ice). It works and was cheap/free from scraps lying around. Problem is its pretty heavy for its size. My car is loaded with tons of heavy tools and other crap so any chance to lighten the load at all is great.

Any homemade ones or ideas you want to share?

I imagine it is only good for ice, but I found when I got stuck on a construction site on a sheet of ice, a few roofing shingles laid in a line grip great. Gravel side down and drive away. Mud and sand..... I'd look for some old surplus military mats. They are strips of heavy gauge sheet metal with dimpled holes in them. A little weighty, but very effective and store flat.

I bought surplus conveyor belt on fleabay... 12" wide 13' long for 40 bux. Cut it in half.

Used them two weekends ago on the beach in San Felipe, Baja Mexico. It was an F250 loaded with camping gear buried up to it's hubs. We lowered the tire pressure to 20 psi, used a shovel to clear a path, put one in front of each rear tire and the truck popped right out. We were stuck for less than a half hour.

They weigh less than 20 lbs. and roll up to fit in a box maybe 10"x10"x12"...

You might look for more ideas over at Expedition Portal.

Thanks guys. I was stuck in punta cabras up to the axles and that is what spawned my quest for something to get me unstuck. Unlike you mudbutt I was stuck for 18 hours digging and crap until someone with a big enough truck came by to pull me out. Gnarliest softest sand i have ever seen.

Mine that I made since have been great but they are just heavier than I want so I will check out the stuff you got. I have check expedition portal but those guys seem to view weight as a good thing. It's like they have fun finding the most expensive heaviest things available and piling it on top of the roof.

What about the HD flavor of shade cloth?

Back