• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help me with a steering issue

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
steering in my '88 xj is really sloppy -- no death wobble, it's very lose, and there's about an inch of play from center, and very little feedback. not a huge deal at low speed, but at highway speed, the play is enough that it gets a little horrifying to drive.

I've changed the power steering pump (it was leaking), put in a Durango power steering box, and just replaced the steering shock.

I know very little about steering, so go easy on me if I missed something easy and obvious -- ... what's the next step?

Check all the tie rod ends and replace any that are worn. It may not be a bad idea to replace all of them if more than one is bad if you aren't certain of the age.

There are two ways you can check.

1. With the wheels on the ground, and a helper jerking the steering wheel back and forth, look and feel for any slop at the tie rod ends. There should be no slop at any of the joints.

2. Jack up the front end and set it on jack stands. Put your hands on the tires at 3 and 9 o'clock and jerk back and forth. Any slop you feel would be from one or more tie rod ends. Again a helper makes this easier, so you can look and jerk at the same time, but you can do it yourself.

Jeep XJ steering is inverted Y with a drag link that goes between the pitman arm and the right (passenger) wheel steering knuckle. Then there is a tie rod that goes from the drag link to the left (drivers) wheel. There are tie rod ends on each end of the drag link & tie rod (4 total).

Check your steering shaft! Up near the firewall there's a rubber section to isolate vibration. It breaks, but the shaft is keyed so you don't lose steering. You have to grab it with two hands and twist to actually see it or you never will. Took me forever to find this on mine. I just drilled a hole thru it and put a bolt in it. Steering is tight again.

Back