• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have a Fourth Grader? Go Cut Your Own Free Christmas Tree

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I learned something new this week (This should hold me over for the rest of the year): If you have a 4th grader you can get a free permit to go cut down a Christmas tree in a National Forest. It is part of the Every Kid in a Park initiative.

Linky to useful info: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whiteriver/home/?cid=fseprd479262

Now I just have to figure out if I want an axe, a handsaw or a chainsaw. Or maybe all three.

Well, that would save 5 bucks. But since what grade you're in is kinda ambiguous for homeschoolers I wonder if we should wait until next year and get an annual park pass out of the deal too.

I usually use a Bahco laplander for this, but I am totally in love with my new 20v lithium mini chainsaw... no gas stink, impressive power and battery life for limbing. Got the Dewalt on sale and like it a lot so far, but maybe the Makita is even better?

No need for a stinky hotrod with 20" bar to cut down a Christmas tree.

$5 permit? We have to pay twice that here. :smsoap:

The park pass comes with the tree. Even if you already have the park pass. (Conveniently picked it up in Canyonlands last month) I tried to explain we already had one. I even showed it to them. They still insisted on issuing another one. Now the Bride and I can each carry a pass for the Varmint. (I don't think govt employees can step aside from their script, regardless of the situation.)

Get a free tree and park pass now. Then hold him back a grade and get the same thing next year too. :scottm:

Battery powered chainsaw actually works? Interesting. If only Milwaukee made one in the 28V line. I really don't want to adopt yet another battery system.

I saw that NP 4th Grader program, interesting.
OT but I wonder why only 4th Graders :dunno:

As someone who used to know a Christmas Tree Farm employee (Free trees are neat), the Tree Farm ones are painted with flame retardant Green paint.
Probably not as big of an issue with LED lights, but in the days of the larger 120V incandescents, it wasn't unusual to hear of a tree fire.

Back