• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS map software

x-jay vision

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Garmin Etrex 20 and would like map software that provides Topo maps and rivers/lakes depth features. I want something easy to use, something easy to hook the cord up and select what I want and go.

What is everyone using?

I abandoned the stand alone GPS a while ago, now I just use my Phone.

-Ron

i was leaning this way at first but just about everywhere i go wheeling there's no cell service ie no maps. sure you can download them ahead of time but i always forget about doing that until im already there. :doh:

I have also been trying to educate myself on new developments with GPS as I had heard that there are now GPS apps that can be downloaded to smartphone which enable the use of just satellite locating in the absence of G4/G3 mobile network and wifi.

I downloaded Backpacker Pro which supposedly has this capability and cut/saved a map while in G4 mode. I then turned everything off to simulate being in a remote area without mobile network or wifi and tried bringing up the map and got nothing…no map, no curser, and no lat/long.

I certainly do not rule out operator error but if I am in an actual situation where I really do need my location in reference to a useable topo map I’m thinking I want something reliable that does not necessitate my knowing how to finagle a tedious routine on a cumbersome app. So I am sticking with my archaic etrex legend to tell me my lat/long and Delorme USA maps on my laptop, with paper maps as backup.

Last edited:
If by "turned everything off", you mean airplane mode, that also turns GPS off.

Apps like backpacker pro, backcountry navigator, etc work perfectly fine without cell or Wi-Fi signal.

OK, I saved a map where I happen to be located and brought it up without being in airplane mode. The map comes up but there is still no curser to show location.

Giai has topographic maps as well as satellite and roadway overlays that you can select and download to your phone/tablet to use without internet coverage. It's what I'm using on my iPad.

You set up where you want to go when you have a internet connection, then you download that portion of the map to your device.

Found an excellant source for downloading maps including 24K USGS topo quads. It is called PDF Maps by Avenza Systems Inc. I got it in google play store by simpy searching for PDF Maps. Very user friendly source for high quality maps.

FWIW

Back