• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS for Offroaders

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I've been interested in some kind of GPS that would display the trails I'm on. I tried to use Google Maps and Earth, but they fail completely when out of service and some of the downloadable maps people have put together only work on the desktop version and not on Android.

So, I'm wondering if there's some kind of GPS out there thats handy for showing you on trails so you can figure out where the next trailhead is and how to get off the mountain?

Check out the Delorme PN 60 handheld GPS. Great support and tons of off road maps.

I have an older PN 20, which has always served me well. Compact, portable, gets the job done...

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30538&section=10460&forge_prod=IvjrQsaOrXsvSBp5lFAj01Ow:S&forge_prod_pses=forge_prod%3DIvjrQsaOrXsvSBp5lFAj01Ow%253AS%7E

i still use my old PN 20. it has always served me well and has yet to be replaced by anything cellular, or travel related, like a Tom Tom. though i do use Waze on roadtrips for traffic info.
i like standard GPS because it can map out where i have been, not just know where i am at the moment, and can work with downloadable topo maps and such.

There are several good threads about off road GPS in the adventure forum. Everything from tablets to standalone GPS devices.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=193

I use an iPad mini connected to a Bad Elf GPS receiver via Bluetooth and either the Garmin app for on road or Giai topos off road. You have to make sure you have an app that lets you download the maps for use offline before you start your trip.

I'm testing Backcountry GPS on my tablet right now. It has a good internal GPS. I downloaded all of the GPX files for all the trails I'm going to be hitting in the next month, as well as PDF files of all the trails to fill in. Backcountry seems like an alternative to Giai and was recommended by a few people as well, so I'm going to give it a go. The only things I'm worried about is:

1. Are the maps as good as Giai's?
2. Is the internal GPS good enough or will I need a bluetooth GPS ($70-100)?

Guess we'll see, thanks!

There are several good threads about off road GPS in the adventure forum. Everything from tablets to standalone GPS devices.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=193

I use an iPad mini connected to a Bad Elf GPS receiver via Bluetooth and either the Garmin app for on road or Giai topos off road. You have to make sure you have an app that lets you download the maps for use offline before you start your trip.

I use Gaia GPS on my iphone... I am a railroad historian and my area (Humboldt County CA) is littered with old logging railroad right of ways- So I can use the 1930 topo map to view old tracks in real time.

Can you tell us more about how you use the bluetooth to integrate with an ipad? That would be killer to have Gaia on a bigger screen- I'm assuming the ipad doesn't have the GPS built in like iphone does.

I use back Country navigator on my Nexus... works great and good selection of maps. Just remember to download maps to unit before leaving. If not in WiFi area can't get new location maps. The National Forest Service maps for it are THUMBS UP!!!!

I use a Garmin mostly because I never changed my speedometer gear. Otherwise, paper maps and odometer have always sufficed. The Garmin shows some trails, but most often I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Girlfriend's iphone typically displays some kind of road number or name, at least the road, while the Garmin indicates what state we're in. Her setup works better for far flung county roads in heavily owned places like west Texas.

I downloaded the http://osmand.net/ app on my tablet and it works real well.
It allows you 10 downloads with the free version.
Each state is a download, if you want 10 states, do not download the USA base map because it counts as one download.
I use it when I am driving to save on data and when there is no cellular service.
The maps are very detailed, they have the smallest walking path and in most areas has out lines of individual buildings, even in rural areas.

I have it on my old Motorola Xyboard with the 7" screen, it makes for a great GPS!

Back