• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good deal on roll cabinet

These have the bent sheetmetal drawer slides. They crap out if you put much weight in them and use them very much. You really need roller slides. My wife bought me one of the cheap Craftsman units about 10 years ago. I ended up buying roller slides and switching over.

If you don't use it too much, you will be fine. I just plain wore mine out.

Okie Terry said:
Damnit!
I knew I never should have spent $4000 on my Cornwell.....
I coulda bought 20 of those.

Or three of them in series on an angle iron frame with real casters and a steel top.... plus about $3200 to play with.

LOL it depends what you're doing with it... I am out of room in a smaller roll-cab and don't need -or have room for a huge/heavy duty rollcab that gets opened 2-3x a week.

FWIW until the company I used to wrench for issued a Dornier 'factory' tool kit (Sthalwille sp?) I got great service from my little baby Sears rollcab & Kennedy machinist's top chest. Anything bigger wouldn't have fit down the aisles or between the machines we serviced. FWIWx2, it was $20 more than the one I linked above, 12 years ago.

IF I were recomending a pro box that normally sat in one place, then by all means go Snap-on Mac, Matco, or others, IF that company gives service in your area... (Cornwell and S&K were non-existent in the market I served as a Snap-on dealer) since there is close to zero resale value on used Craftsman or other 'homeowner' or 'lite shop' grade boxes.

On that note, one of these would go right nicely in a new shop. In fact, I'm saving pennies...only 1,700,000 more to go :)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=19718&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I've had one for a couple of years. Construction is alot better than anything else in this price range. Very good value for the money.

Despite not having roller-based drawer slides, the action is fairly smooth even when they are weighed down.

Up here that thing did go on sale on a regular basis.

When I went from the dealership to the transit company it was recommended to switch to a craftsman from my snap-on (hi theft rate and forklift/bus vs toolbox 'accidents'). I purchased that exact box, built a frame with good casters and put on a steel plate top. Problem was it was to narrow of a draw for the 1/2" breaker bar, torque wrenches and if memory serves me right, a 1-1/8" combination wrench. Nice price...for the home though.

I did a little price comparison between Sears and Snap-on... In cents per cubic inch

Sears (advertised prices figured + 0.07 sales tax)
Their 8 narrow drw box on sale is approx $0.02/ ci.
My old 5 narrow drw at todays price = $0.03/ci.
Their 12 narrow drw ball-bearing combo = $0.04/ci.
Their "pro" 26 drw 56"w x 67" combo = $0.10/ci.

Snap-on Premium (figured at retail -20%, plus 0.07 tax)
12' L, 30 drw KRL7065 @ $14000 = $0.17/ci.
4.5' L, 22 drw KRL 1202/7022 @ $8600 = $0.165/ci.
72" L 19 drw KRLW -2 fixed base units @ $5200 = $0.14/ci.
Snap-on -wannabe- Ball Bearing:
40" KRA4107/4114 @ $3650 = $0.14/ci.
26" KRA4008/4014 @ $2100 = $0.135/ci.

I dunno if there is a lesson there (I am bored) or if it matters.

FWIW The Kobalt ball-bearing boxes sold at Lowe's used to take the same BB slides and locks as the Snap-on KRA boxes...

Kennedy can fix you up if you have multiple boxes (like the Craftsmans) and want to 'same-key' with barrel locks.

For our engineering club here at school, we just received a free Vidmar 13 drawer assembly about 5 ft tall and 3 feet wide. It's rated at 400 lbs per drawer, full roller bearing drawers, and weighs probably 500-700 lbs. It has to be the best looking drawer assembly I've ever seen. The one that we just got is listed for almost $2K new. I know if I were ever to buy a top of the line unit, it would be this brand over anything else. There are quite a bit of them on ebay.

However, we received an old one before stanley took them over....who know if stanley is keeping the good work up. This one is probably around 10 years old, and only needed a small lube job on the bearings...otherwise, good as new.

_nicko_

I have that basic box, except mine has the center locking drawer with 2 narrow drawers on each side. I wanted to get one with the ball bearing drawers to match my Husky top box, but I saw this one at a yardsale two houses down from me. $75 w/ a machinist box (rough shape), I couldnt pass it up.
Stainless steel Shark boxes are kind of Bling...

Back