• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRS radios

Thanx for the response guys. I have looked at several units some say they will talk 7 miles and others that say they talk 50 miles..I was kinda wondering if the good ones are worth the money or just stay with the inexpensive ones like you guys bought.
Cardboard

Any FRS radio (.5 watts) on those frequencies are pretty much going to be line of sight or 1/2 mile. They might do "18 miles" if you were on a salt flat.

For the little bit I got to wheel. I think they worked good being what they were also.

Any FRS radio (.5 watts) on those frequencies are pretty much going to be line of sight or 1/2 mile. They might do "18 miles" if you were on a salt flat.

I was talking to Mac from 3/4 mile away between hills and trees in the woods at the back of the group. That's more than I can say for my "tuned" 4 watt CB.

There is a definite difference between the little radios we handed out and the motorolas that I have at home. But handing out the little ones for members allowed the chapter to change communication mediums without everyone complaining about buying new gear.

yes i agree, handing them out helps because now you know that if you make them a requirement for MWC or NAXJA in general, half of us already have one.

Back