• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft

BigPoppaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i know im probably gonna get some crap for this but im cheap. i bought the 4.5 inch rough country lift with the tc drop. at first the angle for the rear drive shaft to the dana 35 was bad. the rear end was a little low so i bought 2 inch blocks that were tapered and acted as shims methinks. brought the angle perfect. mind u i was bein cheap and should have bought new leaf spring but this aint my dailly driver. i still noticed a kind of knockin noise and looked at my front drive shaft. it seems as the angle at the dana 30 is a bit off. is it possible that while im driving that could be knocking noise?? its not that bad but still bothers me and wondering if it would do any harm in the long run. i would have posted pics but i dont have the camera cable with me to upload the pics. its a 1989 jeep cherokee. also im an idiot when it comes to axles and all this technical crap. just lookin for some advice, and tryin to do it the cheap way. ive tried searching too.

Need drivetrain info....engine size, trans type, transfer case etc, disco or non-disco front axle??

4.0 liter engine v6 automatic trans, transfer case ?? dont know, and i dont know how to check for the disco or non disco axle, but i just read on the faq that the non disconnect lets the drive shaft spin, so im guessing it is cause mine does.

BigPoppaXJ said:
4.0 liter engine v6 automatic trans, transfer case ?? dont know, and i dont know how to check for the disco or non disco axle, but i just read on the faq that the non disconnect lets the drive shaft spin, so im guessing it is cause mine does.

I6.....

lancey3 said:

:laugh:

the disco non disco will be apparent by the vaccum thingy on the passenger side of the axle. and the transfer case will have the type stamped on it.

Ya gotta pick (or figure out) if its the inline 6 or the V6. The inline 6 is the 4 liter not the V6. Your transfer case # is on the back of the transfer case to the left of the rear driveline (on a round tag). Front discos can be found between the third member and the passenger tire. Will be noticeable if there is a cover plate on the back side of the axle tube betwen there and a small vacume hose going up into the enging compartment.

With the rig in 2WD engine off, in park.....crawl under the front....if you can spin the driveshaft you have a disco axle....if it wont spin....you have a non disco axle.

If you have a non disco axle....its NOT the front driveshaft with the problem since it does not spin in 2wd.

ok its the non disco axle i think. which is good news the angles on rear look fine and i dont think that is the noise. but the front drive shaft does turn just a hair like 1/8 of a turn then stops and can only move it back and forth not spinning it fully. is that considered spinning it? if it is non disco what i can be hearing is just the tires since they are cheap mud terrains. i didnt think they were that loud. possibly gonna look into all terrains for my next pair or just leave it, thanks for all the help and now i have new info on my jeep i can use for future use.

Last edited:
my front driveshaft slip-splines were fucked and it made a bangning noise while driving. See if your front driveshaft has play near the front yoke.

Next test...remove the front shaft....and drive it....you definately have a non disco axle....the drive shaft spins when you drive....if removing the shaft stops the noise, check the shaft and u-joints carefully for wear....make sure that if the transfer case shifter has a 2 high position use it because if you have a fulltime case and rive it in fulltime with the front shaft out it will smoke the viscious coupling.

Back