• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing Plastic - The Cheap Way

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
Being from Colorado, where all plastic dries out and cracks, I wanted to share with you guys a little trick that I learned on how to repair it. This is applicable for car parts or anything plastic, really...

So I had to replace the front fascia on my Ford Fusion, on account that I had a run-in with a parking lot stopper. The new one I got had a 5" crack over the fog light. I practically got it for free so I wasn't too pissy when I saw it.

So the tools that you'll need for this project are pretty basic. You'll need a pair of needle nose pliers, a torch, metal spatula, and a heat gun (optional).

And the secret ingredient to all of this is.......

That's right, regular old paperclips. Now you'll want to get the Jumbo sized ones because the regular sized clips are too thin and flimsy and they won't give you the structural integrity that you'll need - especially if you want this to last.

So your first step is to bend the clip into a square.

Then you'll want to cut the oblong end parallel to the other side, making both ends even. This is very important.

Next you'll take your needle nose pliers and start to bend the paperclips in 90* increments to form a wave pattern. Make all different lengths depending on the size of the crack.

Next step is to clean the back part of the fascia with some windex to make sure there isn't any dirt or road grime on there.

Now with your torch, get the bent paperclip nice and hot.

And carefully, as to not push the hot paperclip through the whole piece of plastic, plunge it into the fascia about 50%. You'll want to keep the crack directly of the middle of the clip to hold it all together.

Get your clips out and snip off the ends of the clips.

Now take the metal spatula (I used a small screwdriver) and get it hot with the torch.

Use the spatula to melt/smear the plastic over the backside of the clips to secure in. Make sure you give it a little 'lovin' so that it stays in there.

Keep heating the spatula with the torch and move to the other side of the piece. Just be careful that you don't melt right through it, and just fill the gap with the melted original plastic.

And that it's! This piece can now be sanded, filled, and painted. Now they sell kits through Eastwood for like $200.00 - and once I stopped laughing at the price, I remembered this old trick that I learned many years ago from a coworker.

I hope this helps. Don't go burning yourselves now.... :D

Jim

Last edited:
That's brilliant. I will be using this when making new flares.

Thats clutch Jim, good work.
Ripped off my wj rear bumper/ was going to toss it before seeing this. Ill play

bad ass tips!

The most important part of this tip is bend the paper clips over an old piece of plywood or oak cutting board, but heat the paper clips and melt the plastic while the car part in question is sitting on your granite counters.

This must be done when the wife is not home!

The most important part of this tip is bend the paper clips over an old piece of plywood or oak cutting board, but heat the paper clips and melt the plastic while the car part in question is sitting on your granite counters.

This must be done when the wife is not home!

It's like you have a camera in my house or something..... ;) Yeah, the wife definitely didnt know that I had that on the countertops. But when you don't have an adequate workbench, you gotta improvise.

Soldering iron works really well. I have fixed my fair share of plastic using a soldering iron and stainless screen. Harbor freight has a plastic welding kit they sell with different tips.

Back