• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing front pinion angle

I believe the ideal setting is 6 degrees less than driveshaft angle, but it looks good. Check your caster/ tire angles. If it's off you can reset that pinion to fix caster angle.

6 would be a big difference. Like ehall said, it's a compromise between caster and pinion. Unless you want to cut and turn your knuckles.

Ive tried several of the above methods. IMO, the easiest way is a floor jack under the tie rod. I can use my foot and push down on the handle while I'm looking at the bolt hole, very easy. The tie rod being farther out gives more mechanical advantage so a lot of force is not needed. That said, I have never done this method with the stock tie rod. I've done it on an zj rod and a beefier aftermarket one. It works exceptionally well.

I ran the Jeep on the interstate today for the first time with the pinion angle in exact measure with the driveshaft angle.

First time since the week I bought it that I ran 75 - 78 down the interstate with no vibrations (other than needing to replace u-joints). Smoothest ride I've had in 7 years.

I'll take that.

0-2 degree difference is ideal for a double cardan driveshaft like the front.

Use the tie rod as a jack point sounds like a terrible idea.

Back