• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Field Test Report: Asus eeePC 900

Edify me...
A nas is a nas, you can't do anything else with it. If you have a linux box with a whole bunch of hard drives for storage you can not only do the nas thing but you can setup openVPN, ftp, etc and gain access to your nas from outside. Thats the first two things I can think of off hand.
One of the other little goodies, don't go with full sized 3.5" drives, go with 2.5", they make enclosures that will hold 8 of those little puppies vs 3 full size and the enclosures can use a single SATA connector. the enclosure fits inside a normal 3 bay hole like you find on desktops.
I'll poke around on newegg, I think thats where I saw them though it might have been on one of the specialty USB sites.
I'm specing out a HP DL380 right now, dual quad cores with 8 of those drives, hot swap SAS.

Last edited:
Rich, we've got 4 HP rx6600 chassis in the data center. [size=+4]16[/size] hot swap SAS slots... and we'll probably only use 2 of them to boot the server. The rest of the storage comes over multi-pathed Fibre Channel.

I'd have to check now, but the last time I looked, 2.5" drives carried a pretty steep price premium over 3.5" drives. I've got 2 5 bay 3.5" SATA enclosures that fit in a 3 bay 5.25" space that works quite nicely (including hot swap, fans, and temp monitoring.)

Although.....see http://www.plugcomputer.org/ Add a USB network adapter, and you've got just a dandy little portable firewall. And a whole bunch of other things.

A nas is a nas, you can't do anything else with it. If you have a linux box with a whole bunch of hard drives for storage you can not only do the nas thing but you can setup openVPN, ftp, etc and gain access to your nas from outside. Thats the first two things I can think of off hand.
One of the other little goodies, don't go with full sized 3.5" drives, go with 2.5", they make enclosures that will hold 8 of those little puppies vs 3 full size and the enclosures can use a single SATA connector. the enclosure fits inside a normal 3 bay hole like you find on desktops.
I'll poke around on newegg, I think thats where I saw them though it might have been on one of the specialty USB sites.
I'm specing out a HP DL380 right now, dual quad cores with 8 of those drives, hot swap SAS.

I havent seen anything like that on newegg recently, but they do have these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995001

Ive got one right now, it's nice to be able to remove any drive a any time, and I can still use 3.5" drives so storage is cheap.

yea, I like that, on the power connectors on the back, do you need to use ALL of them for 5 drives ? seems some of the reviewers were a bit irate about that.

I just use the sata connectors

yea, I like that, on the power connectors on the back, do you need to use ALL of them for 5 drives ? seems some of the reviewers were a bit irate about that.
My Linux box uses all 5. My XP box currently only has 1. I'll add a second (RAID1) drive when I get around to rebuilding it.

Edit: Oops... you're referring to power. I'm using both SATA power connections, and none of the legacy 4 pin Molex connections. And all 5 drives in the Linux box run well on that.

My Linux box uses all 5. My XP box currently only has 1. I'll add a second (RAID1) drive when I get around to rebuilding it.

Edit: Oops... you're referring to power. I'm using both SATA power connections, and none of the legacy 4 pin Molex connections. And all 5 drives in the Linux box run well on that.
So, if all 5 drive bays are populated you need to use either the two sata power or three molex connectors ?
Will the 2 sata power connectors power all 5 bays ?

according to the spec yes... in actuality it doesn't work too well for devices that have specialized software or devices that sync. Most support channels will not help you if they find out a device is hooked up to a hub.

You know, I find that one of the great ironies with USB. They go to all the trouble of coming up with a protocol/standard that allows you to move all the device connectors off the back of the PC and to a standalone device (which you could then hide under a shelf), and yet none of the device manufacturers will support it.

What's the point of having USB hubs if nothing works with them?

So, if all 5 drive bays are populated you need to use either the two sata power or three molex connectors ?
Will the 2 sata power connectors power all 5 bays ?
Yes. My Linux box has both SATA power connectors hooked up on the enclosure, with 3 250gb drives in slots 0, 1, and 2, and 1.5tb drives in slots 3 and 4.

Yes. My Linux box has both SATA power connectors hooked up on the enclosure, with 3 250gb drives in slots 0, 1, and 2, and 1.5tb drives in slots 3 and 4.

Are you running them off separate rails on the power supply or all off the same rail ?

Same rail. Actually, 2 connectors on the same leg from the power supply (450W.)

You guys turn every discussion into a server thread. :-D

Speaking of netbooks, I've been having a blast with my Dell Mini9. Picked it up in the Dell outlet store for 199, slapped in 2GB RAM and a Runcore 64GB SSD (r/w 7-10x faster than OE) and installed OSX on it. Kind of a Macbook Nano if you will.
Also added a 16GB SDHC card in the flash slot and have my iTunes library on there.
Essentially a smaller Macbook Air at 1/3 the cost.

Back