• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler - Gas tank skids (97+)

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
Since there are a few folks here that do not have a skid plate to protect their gas tanks I thought I'd throw this out to anyone that is in the market for a solid bit of protection.

I've been gathering quotes from 4-5 different vendors for materials to build 5 skid plates out of 3/16" thick plate. The skids will be brake-formed to match the contour of the 97+ plastic gas tank. I'll also build a drivers side nut strip for those that do not already have one.

As of today the best I can do is $250 each. Yes I know it's expensive, but have you priced steel lately...ouch!!!

I'll try to dig up a picture of the skid I built for my heep so you can see what you are getting for your money.

A 50% deposit will be required because I'm going to be out of pocket to get these built and to be perfectly honest I've been burned before and would like to avoid that mess again.

If I can't find 5 people then I won't be building any at all. The cost of material and forming 1 skid makes it a money losing proposition.

So let me know by posting up here or via PM and we'll see where this goes.

BTW, local pickup only.

Frank, You can count me in.:thumbup:

Lead time depends on how long it takes to get to 5 orders. It will take a week to 10 days once I place the order.
Here's a pic of the skid on my heep. This one is made out of thinner 11ga plate. I'll be #6 if this all works out.
2w2ngus.jpg

Last edited:
looks great frank!

I cant put in my hat in the ring just yet... If you continue to build more in the future, count me in. (I have plenty of other issues I need to work out before hand).

Do you know how to do belly skid plates?? and front?? Jus wanna get a price range.. I cant afford much of anything right now but in a few months I might be able too.

Back