• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fall Fling of yesteryear

I drove out from Chicago, pulling a pop-up trailer, did Hell's Gate, and drove back to Chicago. Pick a good spotter, listen to them, IGNORE EVERYBODY ELSE, and Hell's Gate isn't that difficult. I did it on 4.5", 31x10.50s and 2 limited slips, it's been done on 3" and a single limited slip.

I've done it open at both ends on a 3" lift and 31's with Jeff (xjeeper) spotting me, but that was in my ZJ. I've watched, or have been spotted by, Derek (jmaxj), Jeff, and Wayne and I'd trust any one of them. We've got Bob leading this year and he's another Moab veteran that knows what he's doing.

The tricky part is right where that white jeep in the picture above is. You've got to stay high on the wall to the right, or you'll slide off and your passenger side rear tire will drop in a hole sending the drivers side front tire skyward.

The first 4 times that I ran Hell's Gate was at night, with open diffs and a 5 speed......it's actually more intimidating in the daylight, but as mentioned, very much doable with a good spotter.

Another view of HG from the FF 2002, with Beezil and Hagen in the background

hg2002.jpg

Here's a vintage shot of Goatman, dropping in to Hells Gate

goatdrop.jpg

xjblue in Mickey's Hot Tub

100_1494.jpg

Handlebars on Flat Iron Mesa, cresting Easter Egg Rock

100_1460.jpg

Grunt and I on Cliffhanger

Cliff.jpg

There's a blast from the past! Anybody seen Mil lately?

XJEEPER reminds me..... in a few respects, dropping down to the bottom of HG is almost more intimidating than HG itself, it's a blind breakover dowhill.

LOL! That was my first time on Hell's Revenge and up Hell's Gate. I remember looking up from the bottom of the gate thinking it was so steep, I would have to keep up my momentum so I didn't spin out on the way up.

I took it on the fast side and when I got to the top you said something like, "a little quick, but good job". I had to pull the seat cover out of my crack.

Obviously, I didn't film this. If I'm not mistaken, Josh (djblade311) did?

No, I didn't air down my tires. :eek:

Last edited:
Best news I've had all day, thanks.

Actually, Mil and his wife were in a motorcycle accident this week while vacationing in Portland. Mil fared better than Christy, but both will recover, with a concussion, a few broken bones and expected scrapes and bruises. Glad they're both OK.

Actually, Mil and his wife were in a motorcycle accident this week while vacationing in Portland. Mil fared better than Christy, but both will recover, with a concussion, a few broken bones and expected scrapes and bruises. Glad they're both OK.
Shoot, I missed this, and I expect you won't see it for 10 days or so. Hope they're OK.

Moab10-06052.jpg

I have a video somewhere of the "recovery"!

I dunno, I went far left on the wall and the only thing I managed to do was watch a dog bail out quick and listen to a girl think she was drowning :)

Sort of. The carpet stunk and I had to replace the O2 sensor to cure a stumble that appeared. I parted it out in the spring of the next year, but it had been going downhill before the dunking and I was tired of dealing with it.

Sort of. The carpet stunk and I had to replace the O2 sensor to cure a stumble that appeared. I parted it out in the spring of the next year, but it had been going downhill before the dunking and I was tired of dealing with it.

I bet I had more water in mine than you did.... :D

Well, maybe not but I bet I had more nasty crap float up from under the seats.

At least the sun had finally come out! :D

I really wish I did not have my flights booked to go back to the east coast next month. I would use my vacation for fall fling instead . Maybe next year I can attend

Back