• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fall Colors in the San Juan Mountains

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Amanda and I headed down for what most likely is out last San Juan trip this year to check out the fall colors. While there were definitely some nice colors out in the mountains, it seems as though the peak of the season is still another weekend away. Since I will be in Moab next weekend with NAXJA, this was our only chance.

On Saturday morning, our goal was to check out some of the trails just west of Ridgway, then make our way to Telluride via Last Dollar Road, and then hit up a few short trails on our way over to Silverton where we setup camp along South Mineral Creek. The skies did not cooperate with us very well this day, as there were numerous scattered storms in the area, so I did the best I could taking pictures with my P&S.

We started out along Dallas Creek

Mount Sneffels
IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

Then we headed up to Box Factory Park

Passing through the Double RL Ranch
IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

Box Factory Park
IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

Last Dollar Road

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

On Sunday morning we got up early and headed back through Silverton and up Cement Creek Road to Gladstone. From there, we headed up into Prospect Gulch.

Headed up Red Mountain #3 from Prospect Gulch
IMG_2148.JPG

View down into Prospect Gulch
IMG_2152.JPG

Red Mountain #3
IMG_2164.JPG

Next we headed back to Gladstone and took a trail that looped around Cement Creek Gulch and met back up with Hurricane Pass.

IMG_2185.JPG

Hurricane Pass on Brown Mountain
IMG_2189.JPG

Lake Como and Poughkeepsie Gulch
IMG_2201.JPG

From Animas Forks we headed up the North Fork Cutoff to Mineral Creek and took that to US 550, where we turned right and headed back home :)

View down onto Mineral Point
IMG_2240.JPG

Aspens chaning along Mineral Creek
IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

It was a great weekend....now to prepare myself for nine days in Moab starting next weekend :)

Wow great pictures.
In November I'm going up to Tellico and the Great Smokeys and plan on getting some great pictures of the colors!

I envy you so bad. "One day" aka years from now, i'm gonna elect (pay?) you to take me and the wife on a trail ride... if I can ever afford to get out there.

As far as you are away I would suggest flying out and renting a Jeep. There isn't a trail in that area that a rental JK wouldn't handle. I would bet it's cheaper then driving all that way.

love the pics... one day im going to drop everything when im outta college and just get in the jeep or w/e and drive to these places...

always a pleasure looking at your threads man

I... hate... you. Man, am I jealous! Beautiful pics as always, thanks!

see, this is what i wanted to take my wife to see on our honeymoon! if it hadn't been our honeymoon i would have tried to meet up with a naxja'r to show me around. i am so jealous of you westerners. you've just re-ignited my desire to move west. i'm sick of the east coast and all it's posted signs.

As far as you are away I would suggest flying out and renting a Jeep. There isn't a trail in that area that a rental JK wouldn't handle. I would bet it's cheaper then driving all that way.

It just wouldn't be the same in a JK, especially not your own.

Back