• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory skid plate mounting

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

How many bolts/nuts are used to hold the factory skid plate on?

On my new to me 97, with the factory skid, it looks like it lost some over time because there are only two bolts to the frame rail holding it on. It looks like there are three studs below the radiator that could be used. Should these have nuts on the frame side, and then another nut to hold the skid plate to it? Or should the skid be flush with the lower radiator support?

Thanks

I have listed that I used, Skid plate bolts M10x1.5. I have 3 bolts/nuts across the front of the skid plate, I believe 2 bolts on one corner and 3 on the other corner. Or it could be 2 and 1. I am pretty sure they are all the same size as the ones in the front but I am not 100%. I do know its a total pain to deal with working on the steering with it in place and a total pain to remove and reinstall it. Every time I have mine off I say I will never put it back on but then I end up putting it and.

I also do not remembering it being flush with the lower radiator support, its lower than that? The corners mount right next to the sway bar mounts.

Hi all,

It looks like there are three studs below the radiator that could be used. Should these have nuts on the frame side, and then another nut to hold the skid plate to it?
Yup! The skid slips over the three studs, and is secured with nuts.

Great, thanks. I am going to take it off to redo the steering linkage and put it back together right.

Back