• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extraction time

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
Next door neighbor is having his hillside pinned with steel pilings. Pretty big project with some heavy equipment on site. Anyway they loaded a truck with a power unit and a device that attaches to an excavator and spins the pilings into the ground. Now mind you this excavator could easily pick up my F150 and set it down 30 feet away...

The truck you see in these pictures has a 30,000 pound load on the back that has shifted. The excavators on site cannot solve the problem. They were talking about bringing in crane to disasseble the load prior to lifting the truck out (Which the excavators onsite could do). The are very concerned about the tension on the chains and the hazard that presents.

Hopefully I will be around to capture more photos during the extraction. If so I will post up.

Extraction001.jpg

Extraction003.jpg

Extraction005.jpg

Mom...I might have crashed the truck by accident.

How in the hell did that happen?

Yes, Paul (the owner) indicated that just the load is 30,000 pounds. His concern is the chain binders are under such tension that they present a lethal hazard to release without first figuring the force vectors on the load and removing tension.

Due to access limitations they cannot bring in a heavy enough piece of equipment to remove the truck and load together. So the load will have to be disassembled in place.

As for how it happenned... the vehicle was heavy enough that the edge of the road went plastic and it simply slid away... if you wheel in the Pacific Northwest and have ever caved in a door at two miles hour... you can probably sympathize.

About two months ago a propane truck servicing the same neighbor nearly slid into a stream gulch. Fortunately the buldozer left a small berm from the last time the road was graded. The propane truck came about 18 inches from a 12 foot veritical drop into a streambed. When it came time to extract the wrecker backed a mile down the road to make the pull.

There is a hairpen section in the road with an 80 - 100 foot slope that a vehicle would travel (roll) down prior to stopping. The wrecker spent about 20 minutes trying to back around the curve there. He had to 3 point the curve and the front end repetively slid away on the banked road surface. After the driver arrived at the scene he called in to explain the misrepresented road conditions and a second round of negotiation occured.

Anyway they are going to have a tough time bringing in the necessary equipment. The excavators already on site had to drive in under their own power, and they even had to widen the road in parts as they came in.

Heavy equipment stucks make most Jeep stucks look like childs play!!

That situation does not look good!! I would imagine that you could use the excavator to winch up the load seperate from the truck. And then do the same for the truck. But I can imagine that the soil on that bank is not really stable so that might not work without "lifting" each of the pieces out with a larger crane.

My Dad often get's his 8yard dump truck stuck in the mud. He almost always has to dump the load where it is stuck and then use his excavator to lift, unstuck the truck. Of course he is always on his own, never has cell reception, and has to use very large tow straps! Sounds like lots of fun to me, but all it really does is take him longer to do the job and you usually don't get paid any more for the extra time ;(

Michael

I wonder what amount of fluid has spilled out of the truck? Sorry, things I think of. What a mess though and if the road is that bad how is a crane going to position to remove the load? Next picture has a crane behind the truck further down the bank.

Back