• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External hard-drives... ? good deals? internal drive in an enclosure?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
My 60gb drive is getting near full and I want to get an external, 100gb would probably be fine, but of course the more the merrier. I probably don't need anything too fancy or fast, but I'm not sure of what features to look for besides storage. I'm looking to spend under $100, BestBuy has an 100gb on sale for $80 (http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbu...2811&pagenumber=8&rapid=271769&prvid=052106ba)

Also, I've seen the enclosures to put internal drives in and it seems that comes out cheaper, any concerns?

Anyone know of any good deals online?

Thanks.

i was in the same situation i went to staples and found a 100g for 90 a 200g for 100 and a 300g for 129 with a $30 mail in rebate so for $10 dollars more than the 100g i got a 300g. those kinds of deals are all over. pricewatch.com is a good place to look for computer stuff cheep.

Why are you dead set on external? Personally I demand internal unless it absolutely has to be portable (unless we're talking SCSI - but I know you're not.) Performance is important to me.

The only external drive I have (aside from 73 gigs of U160 SCSI scratch space) is my iPod for music and shuffling files between home and work (doubles as external drive - currently I have about 28 gigs free on it).

Sequoia

Last edited:
BrettM said:
I have a laptop, I don't think there are any cheap internal options. correct?

You is correct- shy of upgrading the internal drive and transfering everything over...

Now I would run the un-essential files off the external device. Your music and stuff could go on there. Try to keep the larger files and in particular the stuff you're working on a lot (especially if you're doing any photo / video work) on the internal drive as the performance is much better there.

GSequoia said:
You is correct- shy of upgrading the internal drive and transfering everything over...

Now I would run the un-essential files off the external device. Your music and stuff could go on there. Try to keep the larger files and in particular the stuff you're working on a lot (especially if you're doing any photo / video work) on the internal drive as the performance is much better there.
that's the plan, music (where most of my memory has gone) and backups on the external. I probably won't even have it connected most of the time. I have a 30gb Creative player that I listen to music off of, so I don't need any music on my hard-drive, but I don't want to only have it in one location incase something breaks or gets lost.

I run a pair of 20Gb 2.5"FF EIDE drives in USB external enclosures, and they work well for me. I've got a 60Gb in my ThinkPad, and the "pocket" drives make it easier to move large chunks of data from machine to machine.

Check around tho - depending on what model laptop you have, you may be able to get an "internal drive bay" - I've also got those for my ThinkPad, and they're noticeably quicker than USB. Since my wife and I both have ThinkPads (T20 and T30,) they make it a LOT easier to swap back and forth, especially since it's a "driverless" install...

5-90

GSequoia said:
Why are you dead set on external? Personally I demand internal unless it absolutely has to be portable (unless we're talking SCSI - but I know you're not.) Performance is important to me.

The only external drive I have (aside from 73 gigs of U160 SCSI scratch space) is my iPod for music and shuffling files between home and work (doubles as external drive - currently I have about 28 gigs free on it).

Sequoia

Good Point G, get a 60GB iPod and run double duty. I've got 5000 songs on mine and I have 40GB of free space.

Fawk EIDE/SATA. SCSI is the ONLY way to go when it comes to internal HDs ;)

cracker said:
Good Point G, get a 60GB iPod and run double duty. I've got 5000 songs on mine and I have 40GB of free space.

Fawk EIDE/SATA. SCSI is the ONLY way to go when it comes to internal HDs ;)

Yeah, but it's a little difficult to find laptops running SCSI-anything... Besides, one of the key points of SCSI is easy expandability - when was the last time you saw a laptop with six drive bays?

Desktops, on the other hand... Next desktop I build is going to have a SCSI case setup IN it or NEXT to it. I don't have a RAID card, but I've got a few SCSI cards laying about doing nothing...

5-90

5-90 said:
Yeah, but it's a little difficult to find laptops running SCSI-anything... Besides, one of the key points of SCSI is easy expandability - when was the last time you saw a laptop with six drive bays?

Desktops, on the other hand... Next desktop I build is going to have a SCSI case setup IN it or NEXT to it. I don't have a RAID card, but I've got a few SCSI cards laying about doing nothing...

5-90

Yeah. I think the older Apple laptops might have had SCSI HDs but for most everyone we are stuck with EIDE until Samsung releases their half solid-state half traditional hard drive to increase performance and battery life (just a huge cache before read and write). That should be interesting.

Key to a good desktop, a 15,000rpm boot/app drive and a Raid 5 array for data ;)

Screw those toys, 300 gig PFFFFFFT
This is what you want
http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/

Or this one that you can grow as you go
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811219014

Something cheaper if you have a big enough case this goes in the top end of a tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121404

GB indeed, TB, now thats worth talking about...
Go with a seagate, they have a 5 year warranty on them, blow off bestbuy and most local stores, hit newegg....

im running a 60gig laptop HDD in an external case. its usb 2.0 and works pretty good. i spent aroung 70 bucks on the whole setup. only draw back is i wish i had gone with a bigger HDD.

Back