• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electricals; turn signals, windows, door locks!

tantotrailers

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a 2000 Jeep XJ with 200k miles on it and I’m loving it! I’m so stoked to be back in the Jeep fam. Lots of upgrades on the way but a few items to button up before then.

I’ve got some odd electrical issues;

1) my auto door locks do not work at all (I don’t have a key fob to test remote).

2) windows only work from driver door panel

3) left turn signal sometimes engages the hazards and both sides are blinking, if I turn off the left turn signal and turn it back on it goes back to normal, this one is harder to reproduce...

Any ideas what might be going on here? I bought a replacement driver door control panel so I’ll see if that may have any sort of effect on the first 2 issues but I, not even sure where to start with the turn signal...
20210520_195451.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Failure of the drivers door master switch is very common. The switch internal circuits can sometimes be resoldered, but a new control unit will usually restore all functions. Somewhat related is that the drivers door and the tailgate wire harness commonly suffer from chafed or failed wire insulation, and broken wires. You should visually inspect the wire harness near the hinges, and test continuity with a volts/ohms multi-meter.

Inspect the turn signal wire harnesses and light bulb sockets for damage and corrosion. You should also remove the drivers side cargo area trim panel and check the wire harness plugs and turn signal ground located there. Suspect any trailer light wiring or module as faulty. Failure of the turn signal switch model on the steering column does happen, and they are simple and relatively inexpensive to replace.

Last edited:
Not bad! Just ordered up a turn signal module on eBay, hopefully it's not faulty also! I'll check on the cables too! Thanks for the reply I'm so excited to get this thing out in the wild
f24ea1f3d04b337fea52a8e29f9209a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nice rig and beautiful pic - welcome aboard!

1 problem solved; windows now work from other door panels...new problem though...the driver window doesn’t stop and it just ratchets but I was getting by with just stopping as soon as it started the ratchet but now I have the auto down working and it just totes and goes until I pull up on the button again....this is an easy fix,I’ll swap out the power window regulator.

However, door locks still do not function, I’m getting no response from anything, no click no noise nothing at all when I hit the button on the driver or passenger door.

I still need to replace the turn signal module which arrives today (2 of them!) and I also may decide to diagnose why my windows don’t work when the driver door is fully open, something might be getting stretched but I’m a bit lazy to investigate before addressing the rest of the “obvious”

Yeah, the "don't work when door fully open" sounds like failing wires inside the boot connecting door to body, but definitely worth checking/addressing the easier stuff first. If nothing else, it'll save you doing it later.

So the door locks are now showing a different symptom. When I took the passenger panel off the top harness was not plugged into the door panel. The passenger side clicks when I hit the door lock button on either door but the doors still do not lock or unlock. Next steps...do I replace the door control on the passenger door?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Windows fixed: resolution was replacing the driver door control module.
Door locks fixed: resolution was replacing the passenger door control module.
Turn signal fixed: resolution was replacing the turn signal switch module.

My driver door speaker gets no power, I’ll be checking the cables in the harness but it might be easier to just run a new cable to the head unit harness.

All window controls lose function when the driver door is fully open, likely a short I need to chase in the same bundle of joy as the speaker.

Side note: Kicker speakers and sub really make this thing sound modern! Love the new beats.

Back