• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Battery dilemna

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I may be getting into this too deep for my situation. Need some advice. I am running a stock alternator and standard CarQuest battery. I will be adding a winch and thought about putting together a dual battery setup. I don't plan on using my winch much and don't use my driving lights that often...question: is this overkill?

I am not planning on upgrading my alternator (ever), but I did plan on getting a better battery (optima/odyssey)...but with the pricing of those batteries, I have comtemplated this dual setup.

It would nice to have a second battery power the winch and lights only, isolate it from the starting battery, but have the alternator charge both simultaneously. I have ready many threads on this setup, but 99% of those doing so are going far beyond what I would want to go with it. How basic of a setup can I do? I want it simple but effective. 2 batteries, and isolator, and wiring? Am I better off just getting a better (higher CCA) battery and calling it done? After all the cost associated with materials for the dual battery set up and the cost of an additional (cheap) battery...I will most likely be at the cost of the odyssey...and maybe no better off. Thoughts?

(its a 92XJ 4.0 with Rock-it intake tube...plenty of room for extra battery on the drivers side next to PS pump)

Back