• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Pitman, Ball Joints & Other Steering Issues....

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
YES I SEARCHED....

1997 4.0L XJ 120K miles
4" lift [bastard]
-Acos's ontop of 2.5 inch lifted coils
-rustys LCA [static]
-rear shackle and AAL
-RE Adj track bar
bought jeep used and it had some unknown 2.5 inch lift with a leveling kit???
I added the above to where i am at now. Sitting on
33" [285 75 R16's]

I was having nasty steering and clunking up front.. Thought it was the LCA bushings @ the axle... so i took it to my local Firestone service center to make sure that was all, the manager has a lifted tj and one other guy has a willy's so anyways we were talking about the issue and they put her on the lift..

They said:

the bushings are fine.
the ball joints should be replaced with heavy duty BJ's within 6 months..
also said its not dangerous...yet...
there was movement and they showed me it was about 2-3mm or something, they want to swap them all out and put in 4 new "heavy duty" ones..
they recommended a Drop Pitman as well

the clunking was from my RE adjustable track bar at the bottom connection to the axle, it had come loose, probley from some wheeling or more likely getting to the wheeling on dirt roads...

I am wondering if the Drop pitman is a good idea...

I am confused because some here say yes and others say no..
do i need to actually measure the angles to determine if i need to do it?

I dont have any bump steer or DW it is a little sloppy but i have no play in my steering at all... [if that makes any sense]

I know that i would eventually like to upgrade the steering up front, it is my DD and i was considering the currie HD option.. any opinions..[yes i did read the D30 steering write up]

I am also wondering about tha ball joints, is that something i should attempt to do? rent the press and see if i can? I have bolt on ability and can do all of my own maintenance it would certaily be a step up skill wise, but i would like to get to know my front end a little better anyways..

If not, they want to charge me $1250 for everthing but i need to provide the drop pitman itself and they would put it on within that quoted price....

all 4 ball joints HD installed
drop pitman installed [except hardware]
lifetime alignment [the actual lifetime of the vehicle!]
life time tire balance and rotation [same as above] i have firestone destination mt's...

thanks

-aron

Aron, 1250 is way too much for that. First if you don't have bump steer then you dont need a drop pitman arm.
If the ball joints are bad replace them with stock units, you got 120k out of the first ones, why do you need something reported as heavy duty? A ball joint press will cost about 60 bucks from the cheap tool places like northern or harbor frieght, the ball joints in the area of 30 - 60 depending on where you get them, and a saturday of learing how to fix your truck is priceless. Check out parts mikes web site, he has instructions on how to install ball joints with torque specs. Also look at the Tie rod ends at the track bar, the tie rod, and drag link, this is probably where most of your wandering is coming from.
D

Thank you!
Do you have alink for the "mikes parts" web site by chance?

thanks again

aaron

Back