• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
Are some of the stupidest critters on the planet. Houses on one side of the street, woods on the other, 3 A.M. and I'm driving down this street at around 15-20 MPH and see this Doe trying to pass me on the left, I hit the brakes and she cuts in front of the XJ and just clips my left from fender on the way by.

Why in the world she had to pass in front of me to cross the street I'll never know. Mine was the only vehicle on the street.

We have Hedge Hogs here, kind of spiny rats, even they have enough sense to run away from vehicles.

Maybe it was a suicide attempt?

From 1:25 to the finish...

You'd think after around a hundred and fifteen years of Deer jumping in front of cars, trucks and trains the ones with this propensity would have been removed from the gene pool by now.

I was sitting in my XJ next to a Corm field early in the morning, with both front doors open trying to catch a little breeze. I was just watching a game trail, checking out the possibilities for hunting season months away. And this spike Buck comes out of the corn right next to my Jeep. He looks left, then looks right and then looks at the light through the doors and decides the shortest way to where he was going was in one door of the XJ and out the other. I saw him coming and yelled, he stopped and then started forward again, about this time my dog woke up in the back seat, jumped in the front seat and showed this Buck his teeth and growled, sounding like a cross between a Grizzly Bear and a chain saw. The Buck finally decided reverse was the thing to do, spun and jumped back into the Corn.

We just heard a big crash outside our house. Went out to find someone adjusted the front of the Dodge mini-van with a doe. Unfortunately, the doe was too badly damaged to be worth saving for the meat.

Probably $2500 in damage to the mini-van. A rifle and a hunting license is a lot cheaper.

David Bricker / SYR

We just heard a big crash outside our house. Went out to find someone adjusted the front of the Dodge mini-van with a doe. Unfortunately, the doe was too badly damaged to be worth saving for the meat.

Probably $2500 in damage to the mini-van. A rifle and a hunting license is a lot cheaper.

David Bricker / SYR

Back home we called that tenderizing the meat.

http://goo.gl/wkOVk7

That BMW happened on my hunting lease. They said (in the news) it was a 150 lb. Deer subtract a hundred and you'd be closer to the truth. Happened half a dozen years ago, but still pretty impressive.

It is that time of year, the Deer are on the move.

Last edited:
Several years ago in Ohio, early winter, don't remember exactly when, but there was snow on the ground and the bucks hadn't dropped their antlers yet. I was in my CJ-5, moving slow because the roads were icy. 'Came around a corner and there was a 10-point buck(eastern count) standing in the middle of the road. He stood staring at the at the Jeep doing the classic "deer in headlights"routine for maybe 5 seconds as the jeep slowed to a crawl, then did an excellent impression of a cartoon character, windmilling all four legs while not moving an inch,.. then he fell down. Got back up, took one running step, and fell down again. Sitting on the ground with his legs splayed out, he turns and stares at the jeep for a good 20 seconds or so, which by this time is at a dead stop maybe 15 feet away. Finally, with the apparent coordination of a staggering drunk, slowly gets to his feet and carefully tip-toes off the road, pausing every couple of steps to check if the Jeep has moved.

One of the funnier things I've seen.

At least he had the sense to try and get away from the Jeep, even if he failed. So many of them run in front of a moving vehicle. Maybe there is hope yet the species will acquire the instincts to run away from and not in front of a moving vehicle.

I've noticed over the years that Deer have a strong tendency to reverse direction and go back the way they came from, when they are shocked or surprised. Maybe that is the reason they run in front of so many vehicles?

I learned a long time ago that when a Deer runs if front of your Jeep and your lucky enough not to hit it, it is a good idea to stop and count to ten or you may hit the second Deer.

Back