• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 front locker (one wheel not getting power)

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
I built a SAS for my roomies K1500 a while back. Took forever to convince him to throw in some lockers (lunchbox), but he eventually got some, and we installed sometime last fall. I think we got two trips on the trail before the passenger right (front D44) conked out. He'd be spinning wheels and then the front right would intermittently stop spinning and make a lot of noise that we thought was either locker bind, or hub locks (superwinch) slipping.
As with all issues on his truck, he put off looking at this for most of a year, so we haven't got a lot of wheeling done since.

Finally blew up the drivers hub lock due to wheel bearing failures. Replaced the spindle, hubs, and hub locks on both sides. Took it out last night and same issue. Right wheel spins just fine under light to moderate torque, but once anything gets even remotely bound up, something lets loose and the wheel just stops moving and instead converts all that torque into noise.

When we had the passenger side off, the out stub looked fine. Replaced the hub and lock while we were in there. So at this point, I figure it has to be the locker not grabbing on the passenger side, but WHY? And WHY is it intermittent?

pull the locker, check springs and the side gears. go from there.

I had this same problem not very long ago with a Yukon Grizzly that we had been, rather hard on.

In taking it apart, I found some broken parts. They were 'in place' until I removed the stuff on top, I watched them fall. Sometimes they would line up right to grab, sometimes not..

IMG_20150323_104533950_zps8tyhojc0.jpg

IMG_20150323_104549566_zpsnhr77kbh.jpg

Take the locker apart, see what you see. Contact manufacturer to see if you can buy parts.

Most of them are pretty good about selling small repair parts.

Well this should probably be under warranty either way. Lasted 1 full trip and about 10 minutes on the second use. We'll hopefully get it torn down tomorrow to get an idea what's gone wrong.
The reason I ask in the first place is because we thought the same thing had happened to the rear a week or so ago. I was just backing it out of a parking lot (slowly) and something in the rear bound up, made a bang, and rear passenger axle stopped providing torque. Ended up just being a busted shaft, but I drove it all the way home thinking it was the locker, because I thought a shaft would've bound up and made noise all the way.

Wait, so you broke a shaft on pavement just backing up? Are you related to NWZJSCOTT??

Seriously though, what are these 'lunch box' lockers specifically? Like what brand? Was everything within spec when you installed them?

Didn't notice anything not right when we installed either locker. Both axles are mostly stock other than lockers and mounts. nothing special at all. Just needed something to finish the SAS before building bigger.
The rear shaft could've very well been cracked for a long time for all I know. Just popped backing up in a parking lot, but buddy beats on it pretty hard on the trail. For stock 30 spline shafts driving a truck that weight, I can't say I'm super surprised it broke.
The front axle housing has a bit of a bend in it which we now know was due to weak plug welds on the housing. May be contributing to the locker slip. Will know more when we get it apart hopefully tomorrow, and I'll try to figure out a way to straighten the tube and truss it unless we decide to just find a bigger axle. I've been trying to convince him to go to a newer D60 with unit-bearings so he can stop ****ing with wheel hub bearings getting wet and grenading. :)

Back