• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Congressional reform act

Perhaps, but it just sets a bad precedent. Also (at least I'm inclined to think,) it's just another "slippery slope" we don't need - we've had altogether too many either started or well in progress over the last thirty years...
Yeah, but just about anything can be a "slippery slope". Weren't our Senators originally elected by our Reps? People used to call civil rights a slippery slope because oncethe coloreds got rights, the women would want them, and now gays want them and so on. :)

<EDIT>

Do you need to be a US Citizen to get a driver's license? Nope....

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I've voted they check to be sure your name is on the list of registered voters and compare that to your ID. The license hasn't been the means of determining eligibility though.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blvrbystate.htm

First on the list for every state is "Be a citizen of the United States", except North Dakota which has no requirements.

On the subject of voting, too many sorry a$$ bastards that work and pay taxes never vote. The same ones bitching about many of the things brought up here. I think by their inaction, it is exactly how the majority wants things. I can only speak for myself, but when something truly bothers me I take action to rectify the situation. Funny how there is even discussion on multi-lingual ballots. Seems to me if every natural born citizen would vote, that wouldn't be an issue (Probably would have been voted down). I guess there may be a segment of the population that should have a voice. The one that actually understands and uses their right to vote. By the way, I have never missed a vote since I turned 18.

Today in Oregon it is harder to obtain a driver's license (or DMV ID card) than it is to register to vote. You need a certified copy of your birth certificate, and god forbid there is ANY thing a little hincky on it. My FIL wasn't given a first name when he was born, so his birth certificate says "Boy" followed by the last name--and yeah, that has given the Unholy DMV fits!

What a country--we have broadcast foreign language stations all around this country--you don't find that in other countries. In CA schools in the 50s and 60s Spanish was crammed down our throats whether we wanted it or not. Plenty of the customer's at our station and restaurant would come in and when I would try and speak Spanish to them they insisted that I speak English--THEY WANTED TO LEARN AND ADAPT to this country, and were proud of being a part of it, same for the guys at the Ford assembly plant where my Father worked.

I just don't want MY country becoming the Balkans.

Having worked with many indian green card holders, their first language was the kings english with british accent and all. As far as tagalog, many Philippine poeple enlisted in the navy and spent careers there, becoming citizens enroute over 20 or 30 years. Cooks, Yeoman, Stewards, Shopkeepers, etc were more or less run by them in the surface navy.

SKs = The Phillipine Mafia :wave1:

<EDIT>

Do you need to be a US Citizen to get a driver's license? Nope....

No. But, if you're going to be here long enough to get a driver's license, I think you'd damned well better have a working knowledge of English.

I got clipped one Christmas years ago by a Korean woman, who pretended to not speak English. So, recognising the language as Korean (although I did not speak it,) I called SJPD and asked specifically for an officer that spoke Korean.

Long story short - her eyes ended up getting about as large as dinner plates when the cop switched from English to Korean on her. Turns out:

1) Her driver's license what phoney.
2) So was her entry visa.
3) Her husband was here on a student visa - unaccompanied. Then REVOKED.
4) Neither of them carried any sort of liability coverage on driving.
5) While he could probably produce at least a Korean license - if not a California license - she could not.

Mildly amusing - turned from an irritating fender-bender (wrecked my front pax tyre and put a slight crease in the wheelhouse that I never bothered to fix) to an arrest, hook job, impound, and (I found out later) a double deportation.

And she thought she was shielded because this round-eye couldn't speak Korean. Speak? No. Recognise? Yes. Just because I never had an opportunity to learn Asian languages doesn't mean I can't reliably recognise them when they're spoken at me...

Of course, getting her to pull to the side of the road damned near resulted in a secondary fender-bender - just so I could get a report taken.

Really, I don't care where you came from. But, you are here now - and the lingua franca of America is American English. If you get involved in anything at all that has to do with anyone else, you'd better be able to talk to them...

the lingua franca of America is American English. If you get involved in anything at all that has to do with anyone else, you'd better be able to talk to them...

Maybe it's just me, but I find this statement mildly amusing since you tend to type in a more "imperial" type English...tyre, adding u's between o's and r's, etc. :D

Back