• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Come Alongs/Cable Pullers for Emergency Use

fishinpolejoe

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive come along for my 4wd stock XJ. I find that whenever I drive in the mud or snow the XJ has a tendency to turn sideways no matter what I do. I fear that one day the rear end might walk itself right over the edge of a bank. I feel like a come along would be a good thing to carry.

I saw a cheap two ton model at Wal-Mart but I want to look for something better. I figured this would be a good place to come to for opinions on brands and how many tons it should be able to pull to be of any use, or if they are of much use period.

I'd be worried about it breaking and causing injury.

Better off to do a winch, or something intended for recovery.

I could see using one in a pinch, it will suck a lot though. But your two ton one is waaaaay underrated. I'd over-rate it for safety.

I've used the Hi-Lift Winch Kit in the past. It's very slow and a lot of work but did get my Jeep out of some snow once.

I was wondering why I couldn't find anything about come alongs using the search function here. I didn't realize they made tools other than electric/PTO winches for the job. Guess I need to get out more often.

Thanks guys. I'll shop around, maybe check the local co-op.

Joe

One of the larger drawbacks of come-a-long type hand winches is they don't have much cable on them, and the closest winch point is further than the cable reaches. So you have to Carry a good length of chain also ( strap won't work as it simply stretches).

But it's better than nothing at all.

I carried one when I 1st started wheeling; I'd look into other options if you have the means ;)

One of the larger drawbacks of come-a-long type hand winches is they don't have much cable on them, and the closest winch point is further than the cable reaches. So you have to Carry a good length of chain also ( strap won't work as it simply stretches).

But it's better than nothing at all.

I carried one when I 1st started wheeling; I'd look into other options if you have the means ;)

I really appreciate the tip about the straps! I had planned on getting one for sure. :dunce: I'm learning.

I don't take mine off road for fun really, but I do drive to hunting/fishing/camping spots etc. It gets a little hairy coming out of my fishing spot after a good rain.

To Clarify:

I meant the Chain for attaching to the Come-A-Long, not for general extraction.

For general extraction, get a nice 20ft strap with no hooks, just loops.
Hooks BAD, Loops GOOD ;)
I would carry an extra 3/4" screw type clevis (or 2) to attach strap.

Straps specifically designed for winch rope extensions will not stretch. For extending a winch line of a come-a-long, you'll want that type of strap or rope. I'm not keen on chain for any purpose, other than skidding logs out of my back yard.

So, we're talking about two straps - one for extraction that does stretch, and gives you a force multiplier to (gently) yank you out, and one for extending a line to the closest anchor, that does not stretch.

David Bricker / SYR

Recovery straps are elastic because they're intended to be yanked on. They will stretch when you draw them tight.

Tow straps are not elastic because they're intended to hold stuff in place. They will snap if you yank on them.

I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive come along for my 4wd stock XJ. I find that whenever I drive in the mud or snow the XJ has a tendency to turn sideways no matter what I do. I fear that one day the rear end might walk itself right over the edge of a bank. I feel like a come along would be a good thing to carry.

I saw a cheap two ton model at Wal-Mart but I want to look for something better. I figured this would be a good place to come to for opinions on brands and how many tons it should be able to pull to be of any use, or if they are of much use period.
I carry one on most trips, it has pulled more than a few rear ends back onto a snow covered trail. I have also used it to move obstructions on shelf roads.

Using equipment safely requires some study, routine inspection, and constant observation when you are using it. Like any other equipment, it is only as safe as the user.

If it is lift rated to 2000 pounds it is pull rated to double that. It is typical to lift rate at 50% or in other words halve the rating for a lift rather than a pull, along with the standard safety margin.

People tend to forget about that two inch edge between what they are trying to pull and how much it adds to the pull. And/or that mud pilled up in front of the vehicle. And/or pulling uphill.

I was lucky and picked up a griphoist cheap. They are way pricey, but are well worth it. I found one used and the guy that was selling it didn't really know what he had. I'd feel comfortable doing a 90 degree XJ vertical lift with mine. 1/2" steel cable rope, 13 ton rating, with a 5:1 safety factor, good for a 5300 pound lift.

I watched a few video demonstrations. It's bulky but probably worth its weight in gold if you needed it.

I have a winch but my Hi-Lift Jack is one of those things I never leave home without. I still have had to use it with my winch to get me out of a few spots when I had to move both ends at once.

Many yrs ago I had to use one as an extraction tool after a roll over accident in the mountains to get a guy out of a pickup who had rolled off of a trail. A very handy piece of equipment to own I have the Extreme model with extras to go with it.

JMHO

I watched a few video demonstrations. It's bulky but probably worth its weight in gold if you needed it.

I have yet to ever need mine but I have used it a few times just for practice. Whatever you end up with consider using it a few times just to be familiar with it.

Back