• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clean 1989 XJ For Sale in Massachusetts

Jay Welch

NAXJA Forum User
FOR SALE: 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 4 Door, 4.0, 4WD - Price $2000 Firm

Completely stock, has not been hacked and never off-roaded in the 5 years that I've owned it. No mud or sand underneath so I doubt it has been off-roaded by previous owner(s) either. I've only used the 4WD in snow. Doesn't burn or leak oil. Generally gets 18 to 21 MPG but have gotten as high as 23 MPG. Everything works except the AC (see below). Has been maintained by me for past 5 years. Have all maintenance records and most receipts from that timeframe. Drives well and is very strong. There are a lot of old pigs out there still running around but this one is clean. Differentials: 3.55:1, 30 Front, 35 Rear.

• 164,000 miles - only 38,000 of those since fall of 1999. Low miles considering year.

• 4.0 has good oil pressure and cooling, always starts - doesn't burn oil and no raps, taps or slaps.

• AW4 automatic shifts great, never a problem, has Power/Comfort switch

• NP231 Command-Trac transfer case works well and linkage has been kept lubricated.

• Exterior is solid black with 2 inch black/chrome side moldings and gloss black fender flares. Door hinges are fine and have never required repair.

• Interior is gray cloth and trim with charcoal colored dashboard. Carpet, seats and cargo area is quite clean with no tears. Dashboard etc has no cracks.

• Air conditioning needs a recharge. All components work but it got weak and I never recharged with R12 or retrofitted for 134-A. Jumping refrigerant pressure switch will kick in and turn compressor freely.

• All power windows and power door locks work.

• Tilt wheel, power steering, power brakes (non-ABS), clock, rear defrost, rear wiper/washer, factory roof rack, set up for din style radio...you supply.

• BF Goodrich All-Terrian T/A white lettered P235/75-R15 tires mounted on stock 10 spoke alloy wheels with all original hardware. Tread is getting to end but should pass inspection as it did 2500 miles ago. Two spare white lettered 235/75-R15 BFG Trail T/As with excellent tread included.

• Full tank of gas :)

New parts - most recent listed first
• Pro Comp ES3000 shocks in front and rear, bar pin eliminators used in front
• Door lock circuit upgraded with Greg Smith mod
• Water pump (new not rebuild)
• Serpentine belt
• Battery
• Muffler and tailpipe (Walker lifetime brand)
• Front brake rotors, calipers, pads, flex hoses
• Right front axle U-Joint
• Rear brake shoes, cylinders, hardware kit, hard lines
• Ignition (Key) switch
• Cooling bottle and cap
• Heater hoses and clamps
• Radiator and thermostat

Not much really wrong with it but......

• I never liked the rear brakes. I suspect the proportioning valve. A new $50 Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve is included with sale. Just needs to be plumbed into rear brake circuit.
• Headliner is starting to droop.
• Interior is very clean but seats could use a mild shampooing for normal dirt...no grease stains.
• Front suspension creaks occasionally, would probably benefit from new front suspension bushings.

Please reply via email at [email protected]

Digital pictures available @ http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

Last edited:
Hi TinyNHxj,

If you send me an email, I'll shoot you the pics.

Email me at [email protected] and I can shoot all of them to you...

If anyone else is interested and has had trouble with the link I can do the same.

I just started using the Webshots page...I'd be interested in knowing if others have had problems.

Thanks,
Jay in MA

Hey Jay you haven't gotten back to my emails I have two friends looking for a jeep. I told them about yours and they are interested I stopped by with one of them hoping you would be home or atleast the jeep would but I had no such luck. Email me or PM me and tell me if you still have the jeep. And a day they could stop by and check it out. Thanks Cody

Back