• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chop Top Build and Resurection

I did the same thing early last year. Put my old blue jeep into a 6 foot mud hole in elbe in 2012 and it lost alot of its power/life. The body was shot from the previous owner so I decided to find a clean xj for cheap.

Found a clean stock 91, 2 door sport for 400 with a rod knock. Found a 98 motor with 120k for 275$, dropped it in and put all the goodies from oleblue onto the new jeep.

I did everything way cleaner/faster/better on the new jeep because I had already been through it all before with the old Jeep. I am super happy with the way the new jeep came out. Its alot of work, but its well worth it IMO.

I say go for it man!

New jeep

Old jeep

I'm just not seeing the $1200 man. Mine with 190k on the clock and in great condition was $2150. I'm betting that any $1200 xj is going to have a few problems, hell even maybe ones worse than yours. Got to remember that the cheaper they are, most likely something is wrong. There are few exceptions but not many
Think about it like this: most of those wrecked jeeps that they sell as a whole, usually around $800-$1200....

Yours was also a late model.. Haha the one I was looking at on craigslist is a 93 that looks bone stock, and they're listing it for $1600 or $17 I can't remember. But I'm just saying I would try to get it from around there. But yea I see what you're saying man

I did the same thing early last year. Put my old blue jeep into a 6 foot mud hole in elbe in 2012 and it lost alot of its power/life. The body was shot from the previous owner so I decided to find a clean xj for cheap.

Found a clean stock 91, 2 door sport for 400 with a rod knock. Found a 98 motor with 120k for 275$, dropped it in and put all the goodies from oleblue onto the new jeep.

I did everything way cleaner/faster/better on the new jeep because I had already been through it all before with the old Jeep. I am super happy with the way the new jeep came out. Its alot of work, but its well worth it IMO.

I say go for it man!

New jeep

Old jeep

I'm diggin the two door! Nice restart man! I'm set on getting a new rig, just gotta find one :) I think I might have a lead on a cheap late model though

finding a dead xj with a good chasis and interor might give the breathe of air you need but your going to end up redoing alot to from what you have learned might add alot of cost. sounds like there is something catastrophic with your jeep if your thinking of a reboot.

Ya know the saying, "the straw that broke the camels back"? That's basically how I felt with this last electrical gremlin. If things work out the way I see right now, I'm basically going to so what your saying. I found a '99 with a blown engine, so I'm going to see what happens with that

Yours was also a late model.. Haha the one I was looking at on craigslist is a 93 that looks bone stock, and they're listing it for $1600 or $17 I can't remember. But I'm just saying I would try to get it from around there. But yea I see what you're saying man

See I can see $1500-$1700 would be a good area to look for, as you said there is a bone stock one for that much. I think that area would be best for a ball park figure for you. Unless you get lucky and get a damn good one with a blown motor or something the original owner doesn't know but you do and pick it up cheap.

One thing I have learned is

There is no "true XJ price" The market for them is all over the board..,

3ugy4asy.jpg

The new chapter has begun... :)

I approve
More info?

My life is complete, I have your approval :D lol

It's a 99, 4.0, aw4, 231. Needs some new tires, wheel bearings, and brakes, but I'm not worried about that because I'm swapping my axles over anyway.

Other than that, I'm going to start a new build thread pretty soon, so I won't have to keep using this one.!

Sweetness so it will be 4.88 and the mtrs? Should be tits

I wouldn't be to worried. I know some one who did it on 32s it was a bit revy but whatever.

Back