• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you run 15" wheels on a WJ knuckle and brake swap?

Isnt the clearance you should be concerned about the clearance from caliper to the barrel of the wheel? That doesnt always have anything to do with backspacing (unless you run a ridiculous amount and none of the wheel is over the caliper), it has to do with the wheel diameter, outer flange size, and barrel contour. Wheels with a bigger diameter in the barrel are going to fit while wheels with smaller diameter barrels wont, and that doesnt always mean bigger diameter wheels make the difference depending on flange size and barrel contour.

My WJ calipers cleared my 15" steelies on 3.75" BS with minimal grinding of the caliper.

I was running currie steering, with the driver side OTKwith a gofer it. I don't think the OP ever posted his backspacing on his rims in the thread, did he?

Isnt the clearance you should be concerned about the clearance from caliper to the barrel of the wheel? That doesnt always have anything to do with backspacing (unless you run a ridiculous amount and none of the wheel is over the caliper), it has to do with the wheel diameter, outer flange size, and barrel contour. Wheels with a bigger diameter in the barrel are going to fit while wheels with smaller diameter barrels wont, and that doesnt always mean bigger diameter wheels make the difference depending on flange size and barrel contour.

I believe that is why many say 15" steelie's will fit, but not aluminum. Aluminum wheels Iinside diameter can vary.

Right where my MT wheels inner diameter reduced down is where the caliper made contact. Took about 0.10" off the very outside high points of the caliper.

So, I can say Mickey Thompson 15x8 w/3.625" bs will work with '99-'02 brake calipers and minimal grinding. Also no contact with stock WJ TRE's.

I did not specify backspacing because I'm wanting to know what the variables of clearance issues are and where with what setups before I buy wheels and bother actually doing the swap...

My 15x7 3.75" BS aluminum wheels with with minimal caliper grinding. They work with straight one ton tie rod ends. I had to buy spacers to use the off set tie rod ends.

My take. Aluminum wheels good to go with straight TREs and minimal caliper grinding.

basically with 16s or 17s you should have no real issue, 15s with 3.75 or less BS and you should be fine with minimal to no grinding.

Exact same problems. Same steering. I put in a set of 1.25" spacers to fix the offset TRE problem. When my current tires wear out I will go to a 17" rim and loose the spacers.

Custom low profile diff cover fixed the diff cover clearance problem. Shop I use makes a family of custom diff covers and they made low profile cover (welded 3/8's steel) for me.

John

Back