• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam for an HO/Renix combo

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey guys,

I'm building an HO/Renix combo engine. The engine will be a 91 carefully rebuilt with a good valve job, haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know about piston size yet. Mr Flores, who has built quite a few 4.0's will be in charge. I am keeping my Renix intake, with bored T-body, and Mopar/Mike leech header to 2.5" exhaust. As I mentioned in another thread, the bored T-body really woke up the tired Renix engine. I'm thinking with the better flowing HO head, it should be even better. I was going to fool with another Renix head, but at this point the bottom end has been through 3 rear main seals, still leaks, so I figured might as well just do a rebuilt engine with the HO head.

I'm looking for a cam that pulls strong to 4500 rpm's. I'm not so worried about the bottom end, I've got plenty of gearing for the trail, although it would be nice to have some pull from 2k rpm. Right now going uphill in the Mt's, if it's under 2500 rpm, I will end up dropping a gear.

I don't know if I've ever posted the spec's. It's a 90 XJ, with a 96 AX-15, 241J, HP-30, D-44, 4.11's, assorted lockers, 33's, and quite a bit of extra steel, because added weight helps performance. :) It's a daily driver, but doesn't get driven much. I would like to be able to trust it to take longer road trips than just to Moab. Obviously it's built to be a wheeler, but not a trailer queen. I do have a M416 trailer with roof top tent in the airstream that I tow every now and then.

Thanks.

I run an HO head and block in my Renix. My engine builder used a Comp Cams 68-201-4. Specs can be found on this spread sheet: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

I am pretty happy with the performance of my engine. I run the Renix intake with a bored TB, bored .030, decked .020, valve job, and a stock exhaust manifold (would practically kill for a Renix header). Throttle response is awesome, and power is fantastic. I will be swapping in 4.56 geared axles this weekend, which will really wake this XJ up.

I would PM Russ Pottenger and chat with him about building you an engine. By the time I was done using a local builder, the only cost difference I would have had was +/- $300 in shipping from California. If his Renix engines can hold up to the abuse the 4643 team throws at it, then it will hold up to anything.

When I received my Mopar header, it did not have the EGR tube on it. I called about it, and was told that the header was the same for HO and Renix, except for the EGR tube. I sent it back, the tube was added, and it fits just fine. Lesson, any header for up to 96 will fit a Renix. EGR, meh.

I tried to install a 91 header on mine, could not get the intake to seat. I'm not too worried about the EGR, mine hasn't been functional for a long time.

You could consider rebuilding the engine into a modified poor man's stroker. It'll cost about $600 more than a stock rebuild but you'd have all the low end torque you could wish for.

Fred,

I'll toss out a couple thoughts/options out to ya.
I'm starting to get more requests for Renix block HO head builds. I've recently
started making adapters made from billet aluminum that will bolt on a 99 up manifold
that allows you to retain your EGR valve.

My camshaft recommendation would be a Comp 68-232-4

Feel free to PM me if you need parts or more advise.

Russ

... Thanks for the kind words Mike.

Richard called me last week to inform me that he finished his 14 hour endurance race
in the team Petty Cash road race XJ. This is the same engine that was in 4643 last year.
So my point is that these Jeep engines can be pretty versatile and reliable with the right parts and tweaks.

I wish I had taken video of that. That XJ would come around long sweeping corners with the rear end kicked out powersliding and throwing rubber.

Almost too much power for that car.

Mike, you need to file the intake manifold.

I have a photo if you want.

Intake%20filing.jpg

Here is the photo Pete (cruiser54) sent me. Posting for future reference.

Good info Pete.

... that said, ya have to bust out the Lubriderm once in a while for the hands,
and careful with the hammer.

:)

Mike, you need to file the intake manifold.

I have a photo if you want.

I used an angle grinder with a grinding disc for my renix intake, when the later model exhaust mani was installed. It goes quick. If I had them at the time I would have used a flap disc.

I would like to run the 99+ intake eventually, so I am going to do some measuring and hopefully draw some kind of HO mani to Renix TB adapter in CAD/Solidworks. I Want to do this instead of paying lots of money for the hesco TPS adapter, or making some potentially janky TPS adapter.

I used an angle grinder with a grinding disc for my renix intake, when the later model exhaust mani was installed. It goes quick. If I had them at the time I would have used a flap disc.

I would like to run the 99+ intake eventually, so I am going to do some measuring and hopefully draw some kind of HO mani to Renix TB adapter in CAD/Solidworks. I Want to do this instead of paying lots of money for the hesco TPS adapter, or making some potentially janky TPS adapter.

If you make that HO to Renix adapter, consider one sold to me.

Back