• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cadillac power steering hose

Wallyman

NAXJA Forum User
"Hoses should be replaced after 20,000-24,000 miles as preventative maintenance"

really? It's recommended that i replace the PS pressure line after 20K as regular scheduled maint?
It's leaking at 140,000 so im going to replace it but when i saw that line i though" what a piece of garbage"
It's a 2000 caddy. You would think at that time in our automotive history, a hydraulic line would outlast the sparkplugs.

I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of parts. I witnessed the same thing when I worked for Lexus. Their scheduled maintenance was very aggressive, most parts replaced worked fine. Their vehicles had good warrantees, and Lexus backed up the owners, but you had better stick to the schedule. The average Lexus owner could afford the high costs for routine services, and expected 200k from the car without having any nickle and dime issues nor breakdowns on the side of the road. It was more of an image issue, IMHO.

That makes sense. pre-preventive maintenance :p
I can see that for filters, belts, many other moving parts. A non-moving hydraulic line seems as though it couldve been replaced at mabye 60-80,000 though. It's an 80 dollar part so its not costly.
Just a little insight into the was engineers and service managers come to a consensus i suppose.

I am not sure I follow, the hydraulic lines I am familiar with have metal crimps on them and seem to leak at the crimps. Or, they have fittings with internal o-rings and those o-rings leak(as was the case with my moms sable).

Nothing last forever and certainly not a rubber o-ring or a piece of metal crimped onto rubber. I say they suggested you replace it at a certain mileage and you failed to do so and it failed although much later so you got way more than your moneys worth.

Back