• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blown up lockout and ring gear on a Dana 44?

i probably went to 10 places, noone had one that had fine enough increments. at that point, i'm better off using my feel.

<shrug> Park Tool, TW-1, beam style quarter inch torque wrench, 0-60 inch/lbs. Yes, you'll need a stack of socket adapters. I got mine at a bicycle shop less than a mile from the office. Granted... Park Tools is located literally just around the corner from me. Point is, they're available. You'll probably have to order it, though, while they're available, generally not a stocked item.

I don't get how gear setup is an "art". You don't get creative with it, you just set something up to be within a certain tolerance.

Maybe "Art" is not the best word to describe setting gears but getting a good contact pattern that you know will be strong and quiet takes experience. You have to know what each change you make to the pinion depth and the carrier shims/cups will cause and what the effect will be.

And by all means people, use a inch pound beam style torque wrench to set the pinion bearing pre-load! I can't think of a situation that I would use "feel" to set the pre-load! Even with crush sleeves there is a procedure to replace the yoke and achieve the same pre-load.

I have a KD, you will have to adapt it up from 1/4"? drive to 1/2" drive for the larger sockets.

Wow I didn't pay attention for a short while and this thread kind of took off :D

Well, I have a new set of gears that should show up tomorrow and we're going to install them tomorrow night... round two now with more patiences ;)

Back