• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beware of Country Store gas stations

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed something on my credit card. I charged $10.26 on my card and :

Country Store #290
7602 South College Avenue
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525

Thought that they could make a few extra percent of profit by rounding my charge up to $11.00. While it isn't going to break me, if they make a habit of this, expecially on gas purchases where you don't get the receipt, it could add up to some serious money over a year's time. Refusing the receipt is the same as saying charge me what ever you want, I can't argue if I don't have a receipt.

I got on their company website and flamed them and have called the credit card company to complain. I am also talking to the District Attorney to see if there have been any other complaints.

I don't know the timing of events, but...

I worked as a personal banker at a credit union for 2 years, and sometimes gas stations would round up the authorization (I.E. you charge $10.26 in gas, but they authorize $11.00). The rounded amount would show as a pending charge, but when the charge cleared it was the accurate purchase amount.

I don't know if this is the case with your situation or not

I don't know if it could be what your dealing with, but I know some gas stations were charging more per gallon if you used your card than the advertised price was. Think there was some loop hole that allowed them to do that. :dunno:

I don't know the timing of events, but...

I worked as a personal banker at a credit union for 2 years, and sometimes gas stations would round up the authorization (I.E. you charge $10.26 in gas, but they authorize $11.00). The rounded amount would show as a pending charge, but when the charge cleared it was the accurate purchase amount.

I don't know if this is the case with your situation or not
The charge on my card shows a completed and cleared transaction with no pending status.

I probably would not have bothered to double check but the even dollar amount peaked my interest. If they had added a buck and left the cents in the number, I wouldn't have even thought to question it.

Was this just on a gas charge nothing else like food or anything just gas right? Between what the tax is on fuel and how they sell or bill it all that has to report to the state and all pumps are state checked, so I would think you can’t charge more than what the pump says unless they have it legally posted. If you need some back up you can call or email the state of Colorado Department of labor and employment. They are the inspectors that check all pumps in the state of Colorado and I know the guy for the northern sector. His name is Dan Likes of the Division of Oil and public safety Oil inspection program [email protected]
Cell # is 1-303-378-8322 He’s pretty busy and tends not to pick up his phone, but he tends to call you back in a day or so. This might be something he would like to inspect or know someone that can review what they are doing.

More importantly, why were you buying only 4 gallons of gas? :)

Must have one heck of a dent in your gas tank.

Steve

I wasn't buying gas, I bought a gallon of antifreeze. I understand the holdback when you swipe your card for gas, but when you buy a fixed price item inside and pay for and sign for delivery, its a different thing.

Back