• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ba10/5 swap to ???

jdjohnson

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the process of blowing apart my 88xj and just finished rebuilding my 4.0. It has oe type internals but a few bolt on's. With that being said I'm really having troubles deciding which way to go with a trans. Used ax15s have proven hard to find and Novak wants nearly 3k for a new one with all the stuff to make it work. I can find aw4's for a couple hundred bucks and get it rebuild for under 1k. Then I still need all the attachments and linkages to make it work plus the electronic shift kit assembly.

Are these my only options?

you can bolt up anything amc patterned to a 4.0, but you'll have to figure out cps mounting and the right flexplate/flywheel to make the ecu agreeable.

AW4 should not be hard.
the wiring should be there.
swap the tps for the auto one, plug in TCM, plug in trans.
done.

Does anybody have any tips or ideas that can keep the swap reliable yet less then the motor cost me? Am I really better off switching to the auto with the electronic shifter vs the ax15? I'm dying to drive this thing and not sure putting the ba10/5 in with a fresh motor will hold up that well.

no, if it didn't come from the factory you'll have to spend money to modify things.

the aw4 is nearly bomb proof. Don't even bother rebuilding it, just chuck it in there.

ax-15 is my preferred transmission of choice behind a 4.0. You just have to buy them when you find them to have parts on hand.

run the 10/5 until it pops, but don't put any money into it.

any other swap will also require new shafts.

Back