• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Fluid level doesn't change when cold or hot

Felipe Tiago

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys,

I'm new here and I bought my 1998 XJ (4.0L, AW4, NP231) a few weeks ago. The transmission was serviced right after I bought the jeep, the fluid and filter were changed. I've searched and found similar threads concernig to my "problem", but none of them cleared up my question.

The fact now is: the fluid level checked with the motor running (hot and in Neutral) is the same as the level checked when the motor is off and cold.

The only problem I have is that it shifts really hard when in 4LO.

Is this right or something is not working properly?

That's because of the gears being lower than normal in 4low. It's normal. Mine tries to break your neck when you accelerate in 4low.

Yeah hard shifting is normal in 4 low. Even if you follow the procedures for checking trans fluid to the T it's still difficult to get a good reading out of it. I find that if I check it cold and not running if it's up where the "squiggly" part of the dipstick is it's good to go.

Thank you guys for the reply!

So my fluid level is ok and I'm gonna get used to the hard shiftings!

I've only had manual 4wd vehicles until now, that's why I didn't know about the hard shiftings in 4lo

Thanks again!

Hello guys,

I'm new here and I bought my 1998 XJ (4.0L, AW4, NP231) a few weeks ago. The transmission was serviced right after I bought the jeep, the fluid and filter were changed. I've searched and found similar threads concernig to my "problem", but none of them cleared up my question.

The fact now is: the fluid level checked with the motor running (hot and in Neutral) is the same as the level checked when the motor is off and cold.

The only problem I have is that it shifts really hard when in 4LO.

Is this right or something is not working properly?

What do you mean "4LO".

X2. I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing here.

X2. I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing here.

I think we are... I meant 4L in the command trac transfer case, sorry

But actually I've noticed that sometimes it shits hard in 4H also, then I disconnected the TCM and it shifted fine (manually of course), not even a single hard shift.

If the TCM is connected and I try to shift gears manually it takes more than a second to shift between 1-2 to 3. Besides, it stucks in first gear in the 1 2 position.

Okay cool, no issues then. Sounds like it's working the way it's supposed to. Have fun and congrats on your first XJ.

Mine is the same way. If I remember correctly, every jeep I've owned has been that way. I'm by no means an expert on this. Maybe someone else can jump in and help you out. Again though, 90% sure everything is ok.

shouldn't it change from 1 to 2 if the 1-2 position is selected (With TCM connected)?

I thought it should be that way, according to this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Did i get it wrong?

Oh it will change when the engine hits about 5000 rpm haha. the 1-2 position is largely useless except for very low speed stuff that's why people install switches to manually engage 2nd gear. I've been meaning to do this on my latest XJ as usually 3rd is too high and 1st is way too low.

There's also companies out there that do shift controllers such as Baja Designs.

Oh it will change when the engine hits about 5000 rpm haha. the 1-2 position is largely useless except for very low speed stuff that's why people install switches to manually engage 2nd gear. I've been meaning to do this on my latest XJ as usually 3rd is too high and 1st is way too low.

There's also companies out there that do shift controllers such as Baja Designs.

That's been my experience. Shifting from 1-2 is non existent until you are running 5000+rpm.

To be honest I didn't wait it hit 5000 rpm... before that I thought "ok, it wont shift", lol

1-2 is pretty useless indeed!

Back