• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are 2wd and 4wd unit bearings the same?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out real quick. I need new unit bearings bad as I can see the tire wobble some now that I can get a good view of it riding around with the doors off. I can also hear and feel the bearing on the driver side grinding when I turn the the right at speed around corners.

I have been looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Aut...ake=Jeep|42&Year=1997|1997&newCar=1&carId=001

But when I put in my jeeps info (1997 Jeep Cherokee) it lists that it will fit but says 2wd.

I was curious if the unit bearings are the same on the 2wd axle as the 4wd axle?

I found the thread that Stump had started and followed the link for the ones on amazon that he ultimately went with. I guess since he ordered his the price had gone up some so my total was $101 for two which is still a heck of a deal considering prices at places like o'reiley's was like $136 for just one! Anyways the ones that I received are made by a company called Precision. Anyone have experience with them or know their reputation?

I had one making noise on my '98 XJ with 130-something thousand miles on it. Found one at a Pull-a-Part from a '93 with 320-something thousand and it's still running good at about 180K miles.

Precision is one of the largest bearing manufacturers out there. You don't buy bearings often, do you? Lol

Haha no I don't I'm still a novice when it comes to axles when you get beyond maintenance and getting into the axle. I know how to change them out since I have had to change the axle u-joints. I had them changed out about 6 years ago by a shop that I later discovered was run by crooks. They used the cheapest parts they could find and to this day I have had to redo every bit of work that they did after each part not only wore out but completely failed and required immediate attention when they did. I learned my lesson trusting shops so I try to do everything myself that I can.

Back