• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Apache trail, AZ

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, im from CT but visiting my sister just outside Mesa, AZ for the long weekend. We came across a group that does a 2 hour offroad tour of the Apache trail which i think is just outside phoenix. Its 80$ a person which is a little pricey for us but if its worth it we might do it. Another option would be to take her car and do the 4 hour easy loop ourselves for free.99. Any suggestions from locals? Any other ideas of fun stuff to do in this ungodly heat?

thanks

Make a trip up to Sedona and take some of the mellow trail there, like Schnebly Hill Road, or just drive around the backcountry around Sedona.

Do apache trail in your car. You can rent a 4x4 in Sedona and do the trails yourself. More fun and you don't have to talk to the Pink Jeep tour guys and deal with their annoying banter. Broken Arrow is the trail you want. PM for more details.
Ben

The largest "un"club in AZ is running thier annual Crown King trip this weekend. Check out www.virtualjeepclub.com for more details on that.

X2 on sedona, look up Farabee's jeep rental, ask for Nena, tell her an AZVJC member sent you, and she will set you staight. Sedona is one of the most amazing places on earth.

xjcrawlr said:
The largest "un"club in AZ is running thier annual Crown King trip this weekend. Check out www.virtualjeepclub.com for more details on that.

X2 on sedona, look up Farabee's jeep rental, ask for Nena, tell her an AZVJC member sent you, and she will set you staight. Sedona is one of the most amazing places on earth.
The Vortex beckons thee

xjcrawlr said:

x2 the crown king trail is awesome.. and not to challenging but you do need a 4x4.. broken arrow is a fun short trail within city limits... i think you can rent a jeep from nena all day for the price of 2 on the pink jeep tour. schnebley hill road is very scenic. I prefer going north to sedona and flagstaff to going east... atleast this time of year... the temps are cooler!

i really should have posted this last week, but the idea for the trail didnt come up till the day before. We did the trail sunday in our sick toyota corolla about 1/4 of the way through. Tortilla flat was interesting but not nearly as fun as it would have been to wheel someones elses rig across the country. I am, however, going back in almost exactly a year, ill be sure to plan ahead next time and mention it on this forum.

thanks for all the advice and for making me regretful!

seriously do so, i grew up in sedona before all the new age crap and could tell you about some great areas to explore...

I must say though, after visiting Phoenix (chandler to be exact) over christmas time and just last week i would easily move out to that area, and it sounds like Sedona is even more spectacular. Its a great place to be a civil engineer, it seems like a new building is goign up every week. It would also be nice to get out of the rust belt and all this mud to try some of these insane rocks ive been hearing about

I grew up there, but have been gone for about 30 years. I remember Apache trail is a great trip for the day. Start out at Apache Junction and end up at Roosevelt lake. You will pass some more lakes and some really pretty canyons.

After you hit Roosevelt lake you cut back down to Globe and Miami, which is actually where I grew up, and then go back up through the mountains toward the valley and end up back down at Apache Junction. I really envy you, really want to go back some day.

Have fun, be careful

Gigage 90 xj from Texas

Back